Front tire size? 110/90 or 110/80?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front tire size? 110/90 or 110/80?

I have a 1980 GS1000E and the front boot is totally shagged. It is a Bridgestone Spitfire 110/90 19 and considering how wooden the same was on the back it has proved effective enough. I used to trust the front end to stay put through the bends, but now it slides around like a lesbian during a mud wrestling competion, and worse still I get some nasty head shakes too. Out back I have a Cheng shin Himax which is great, and intend on using the same at the front.

I have a Metzler "touring" tyre from a GS1150 BMW with about half wear that I am going to fit for now, though it is 110/80 19..

What is the correct size for the bike, as I need to order today or tomorrow and wait a month or so for delivery. I am going to stay 110, but should I go 90 or 80 profile????? I know compared to supersports my speedo reads way more conservatively, and I assume the lower profile will speed up steering a little too, no?

Thanks

CJ

Whats with the censor? I can write shagged but not the word for lady with desires for females?

110/90 is the correct tire size.
    With the 80 series, it's in the side wall. 80% as tall as wide.
    In the 90, it's 90% as tall as wide
    Will it quicken steering? yes a little. I wll you lose ground clearance, yes a little.

Shagged, an English term ,not English language term.
    Hence the censor didn't catch it.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Shagged, an English term ,not English language term.
      Hence the censor didn't catch it.
      Yes, I am totally offended by the word shagged. As long as he dosen't use bollocks, wanker or tallywacker, I guess I won't have to inform Frank to add this to the censored dictionary.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The front tire is listed as a 3.50/ 19 = 100/90/19
        4.50/17 = 130/90/17 rear

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses!

As to the censor not catching english words, how odd. I wouldnt dream of using the word wanker in this forum, as it wouldnt be right, I could substitute knackers for bollocks if that caused less offence. I bet I could get well creative in Spanish though.... So for those with sensitivity issues, stop reading about here. Kindest regards. CJ

Chucha! Verga!

Comment

Working...
          X