new tires for a GS450ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new tires for a GS450ST

Greetings: I recently picked up a beauty of a 1980 GS450ST. This is exactly the same as a GS450E but with a factory cafe fairing. It has 18 inch rims front and back, not to be confused with the L model which has 19in. front and 17in. rear. The tires are at least 20yrs. old, Continental 3.25-18 front and Conti 3.50-18 rear. They have lots of tread but have cracked sidewalls and definitely need replacing. I just picked up a Dunlop GT501 Arrowmax in size 100/90H18 for the front. It's way too big, 4 inches wide or so and won't clear the fender. I wonder if a 90/90 would still be too big? Dunlop's Jap site, translated thanks to Google lists a 90/80H18 but no one stocks it, would be a special order item. The question is, does anybody have experience with these bikes and could recommend a tire brand and size for these bikes? I've heard from some Brit boys that Arrowmax or Avon Venom/Roadrunner are the way to go. I like the idea of a sport or sport-tourer tread design like the new generation Arrowmax. Some folks have recommended Metzeler ME77 but they are an older tread design, popular with old Beemer boxer owners.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. - Ian

3.25 should correspond to 100/90:

(Never mind the misc. notes to myself at the bottom regarding parts for my bike and my wife's bike)

Cheng Shin makes a 100/90-18 and a 90/90-18 if the 100 is still too wide:

I like Cheng Shin HiMax tires, and I ride a much larger, more powerful bike and I ride far and fast in all sorts of nasty weather. Others here will disagree about CS tires, but that's my $0.02.

I've tried Kenda and Maxxis tires in the past (What can I say? I'm cheap.) and haven't been happy. CS also makes a wide range of tires -- if you have an odd rear size, they may be about your only choice.

You'll be happy with just about any modern brand of tire. You seem to be very concerned about looks, so why not see if you can get tires that fit in one of the new "performance bias" categories from Michelin (Macadam) or Pirelli (Sport Demon) or Dunlop (501)?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

tires

Thanks for the reply: As I said, I picked up a Dunlop GT501 Arrowmax front in size 100/90-18 and it's WAY bigger than the Conti 3.25-18 on the front now. It's over 4in. wide. Someone wrote an article about tires for a BMW R65 showing how different manufacturers vary in sizes, 100/90-18 tires varying from 3.9in (Bridgestone BT45) to 4.2in. (Dunlop or someone else). None of these tires come close to being a 3.00 or 3.25 as the tire size conversion charts I've found would have you believe. The stock tire for my '80 GS450ST is supposed to be a 3.00-18 and the 3.25-18 on there now leaves maybe a 1/2in. clearance on the sides at the widest point of the tire. I'm worried that even a 90/90-18 won't fit. I had Cheng Shin tires on my XL175. The front wore out in 2,000 miles of 99% street riding, mainly from braking. I don't think it was a DOT tire despite the dual-sport tread design. Scalloped tread like crazy and the cord was showing in one spot when I changed it for a DOT Kenda which is working great, even on wet asphalt. That bike won't do 65mph so I went with cheap tires. I'm not as concerned about looks or brand name as I am about construction quality, performance and above all, safety. At 48 yrs. of age I'm not anxious to pick up any more injuries coming off a bike at 70mph. I'm exchanging the GT501 Arrowmax ($69) for an Avon AM20 Roadrunner ($72) hoping that will fit. Cost me an extra $15 restocking fee which did not make me too happy, but at least I'm not paying full retail at this site: www.parts411.com. The Cheng Shin Hi-max in 100/90-18 are $37 there. I think the extra $40 is worth it.

BTW, according to www.parts411.com Maxxis tires are made by Cheng Shin...

Comment

My '80 GS450S has Dunlop 100/90 x 18 on the front and there is roughly 1/2in clearance on either side of the fender. They are pretty good tires they were on the bike when I bought it and he new put front and rear tires on 6 months before I bought it.

Comment

i think that many tires will give you great grip, its just spending extra money on a tire that will last longer.

the Metzeller ME77 is not made anymore. It is not ME770, and they have changed the tread design. I've got the 880's on my bike now and have only positive things to say, both about all weather grip, and durability.

ppoooooooopopopopopopopopopopooooooooooot

Comment

Originally posted by Poot

ppoooooooopopopopopopopopopopooooooooooot
            Fall asleep on the keyboard?

Brad tt

Comment

Roadrunner

Well: I may have been able to squeeze that Dunlop GT501 100/90V18 under the front fender but seeing as how it was bigger than the Conti 3.50-18 on the back I didn't want to mess around with it. Exchanged it for an Avon AM20 Roadrunner in 90/90-18 and it looks to be exactly the same size as the 3.25-18 on there now. Would have preferred the GT501 in 90/90-18 but www.parts411.com couldn't get one. The tread pattern on the GT501 is modern sport tire and guys with 750's seem to think the grip is unbeatable but many people have nothing but praise for the Roadrunner, especially in England where they are made and where lots of guys ride around in the wet. We'll see how it does and keep you posted. Thanks again for the input! - ian

Comment

Im running Cheng Shins 90/90-19 on the front and 120/90-17 on the rear. Perhaps you could contact Desolation Angel about his sales brochure for the '82. I doubt the tire size changed in the 2 years, and it does tell recommended size on the Ad.

Comment

Working...
                X