Fork Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Mystery

OK, I have got my forks off the bike ('85 GS700) to replace to fork seals. The manual shows a threaded top cap, part number 10, in this exploded view:

However, the top of my fork has no cap and looks like this:

Now, without the top cap that is supposed to be there I am baffeled as to how to get the fork tube separated from the receiver.

Any ideas?

Thanks

to me, it looks as if your missing the threaded cap, and # 8 is that rusty looking part thats showing, although I don't understand how you could have ridden if this is so.... thats messed up man...

What does the other side look like>?? :?

Comment

Thanks Poot

My guess is that I have a totally different configuration, but I can't see how to seperate the tube from the receiver on this set-up.

And, yes, it is messed up!

Comment

you are looking at the wrong diagram!!
        this looks alot more like what you have.

there is suspose to be a rubber cap over the rusty part you see.
        what you need to do is push the rusty part with the dimple in it down so you can get the lock ring that hold it in, out, you will need a pick set to be able to get behind the ring and work it out of the groove it is in.

Comment

I think you've got it frenzy. Thanks.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

yeah, that's exactly what my 700 looks like, my other problem with the front forks is where the drain hole is. Do we have to invert the forks to drain them?

Comment

If you don't have a drain you could remove #26, it is above the axle. I always drained my GS400E forks before pulling this bolt (makes it a cleaner job) but you could use it as a drain.

Those caps are going to give you fits, especially if you decide to add spacers. :twisted: Try not to freak out while working on them.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

After a second glance, You don't have #28? That is the drain.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett2
                  After a second glance, You don't have #28? That is the drain.

Steve
                  yep, #28 is the drain screw, they are made from real soft metal and are more often than not froxen in and you will strip the heads.

Comment

yep, #28 is the drain screw, they are made from real soft metal and are more often than not froxen in and you will strip the heads.
                    Use an impact driver without question on these. Mine came out with no problems, which was a pleasant surprise (for a change)

Mark

Comment

Well, I removed the retention ring which was obscured by rust at the edges. However, the cap did not miraculously leave out like I was hoping. From the diagram it looks as if it may be threaded, but I can't see any way to turn it.

I tried searching for some bolt that I may have been missing either at the bottom or maybe under the anti-dive mechanism. No luck there.

Any suggestions?

Richard

Comment

I'd put a bit of oil into the area and hit the cap with a hammer. It won't be threaded.

If you have the fork off of the bike flip it upside down and push the capped end against the floor. Actually, better put it in a bucket while doing that. The oil is going to be pretty gross.

Steve

Comment

my oil was blaaaaaaaaaaack when i took it out. probably the original 26 year old oil... :roll:

Comment

The stuff we pulled out of skreemers bike was silver grey, and smelled of diesel. Kinda freaky. But we have flushed it and are replacing the fork seals.
                            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
                            X