Compatibility question and a no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compatibility question and a no start

I have a 1983 GS650 Tempter and have been having some difficulty getting it started as of late. Okay, correction, it won't start. I replaced the battery after trickle charging. I have checked all connections and cleaned them. I have looked at my ground as well. The thing that happens is I simply get a click from the solenoid when I press my start button the majority of the time. The rest of the time I get the engine to turn over and over but not actually start. Then of course if I go to long the clicking ceases and everything ceases to work do to the draw. I was thinking possibly it was the r/r? My question is that I have a 1982 GS550 parts bike. I was looking at the r/r and they appear to be the same. I want to eventually replace this with a new one obviously, but will my 550 suffice for now? I am really new to the technical side of bikes so any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

If I understand you correctly, you think the R/R is the reason for the bike not starting? If so, I don't think this is correct. The regulator/rectifier is for the charging circuit and should not affect the bike starting. If your battery is charged you should be able to start it even if they were not installed. It sounds like you have a resistance in the starter circuit that is causing the problem. Check all connections from battery to starter solenoid, to starter motor. Check all grounds involved too - where starter is grounded and where battery is grounded. Try shorting across the starter solenoid with a old screwdriver to see if the starter motor works. Let me know how this works and we'll go from there.

Good luck,

Terry

Comment

Turns out it was my solenoid............so it seems. Did some testing, found no loose connections but did find junky power to the starter from the solenoid. Most of the time getting none, and sometimes getting a little. Replaced the solenoid and now she turns over great. Problem is she won't start. Could this be due to the carbs getting cranky b/c they have sat for two months? I replaced the gas and checked the plugs. Battery is strong. Any ideas?

Comment

starting

I just got mine started for the first time (since I've owned it) last night... I needed to put it on 'Prime' and use some 'Engine Starter Spray', which I sprayed into the airbox with the filter out. It took a while, and alot of spray (I had the engine running on starter spray for about 30sec), but eventually it got going well enough to pull in fuel and run without spray.

Now it starts on the first crank...

Comment

How must starter fluid you talking? I tried your suggestion last night. Did it for a while and used my fair share of starter fluid through the intake holes. I am at a loss. Miss riding my girl, and can't get her going. Any other ideas?

Comment

Drain the carbs, put in an inline fuel filter (if there isn't one already). This is a good place to start.

Comment

have you tried checking to see of you have any spark????

Comment

If it won't even try to start with start spray You definately need to check the ignition. Pull the spark plugs and check for spark GOOD strong spark. If the spark is week you may need to replace the coils, If you have no/week spark Check to make sure that you have voltage going to the coils. Check the run switch, Check the ign module and wiring connections

Comment

SUCCESS gentleman! Turns out that the last time I checked the plugs they were okay. But in my many attempts at starting and wear the plugs were trashed. Replaced them and the mystery is now complete. Road that bad boy all day. Thanks for everything guys. I have missed riding.

Comment

Working...
                  X