Bearing woes..gah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bearing woes..gah

Okay, so I had everything off the back end of the bike, since I'm doing a 530 conversion (1979 GS750E) I checked the bearings on the rear wheel and

1. the sprocket hub assym. bearing spins freely, but the grease seal is shot, so i'm gonna just do the whole thing
    2. the brake rotor-side bearing was not easily spun, so i bought a replacement
    3. the other side was spinning freely, but i'd still rather be safe than sorry.

when i was examining the wheel, i noticed that the metal sheath in b/w the two bearings on the wheel itself were spinning with the rotations of the bearing.. wtf? is this normal? anyway. i couldn't get the bearings out, so I swung the wheel by a local bike shop to get them to press the bearings in for me (They were charging me for the price of a six pack)

I got the wheel back today, and the new bearings are pressed in place-- but the sheath in b/w the bearings is still spinning with them.. should I be worried about this? there's no sliding play b/w the two bearings so I don't know if i could ease it back at all to allow it enough play-- will it just loosen up, or should i try to fix it?

eep.

Comment

You mean the spacer inside of the hub? It just sits there to keep you from squashing the bearings when you torque down the axle.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett2
        You mean the spacer inside of the hub? It just sits there to keep you from squashing the bearings when you torque down the axle.

Steve
        so if the spacer is contacting the bearings, it's ok?!?

Comment

It should only contact the inner race of the bearing. If it's touching the plastic shielding of the bearings, I'd be nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
            It should only contact the inner race of the bearing. If it's touching the plastic shielding of the bearings, I'd be nervous.
            well, it only seems to be contacting the inner race-- but it's spinning with the bearing, so that's why i was concerned

Comment

If the numbers on the bearings are something like 6205, 6303, 6403, etc you should be okay. I don't see how there could be a problem with the bearings protruding into the area of the spacer. Like I said, all of the spacers put pressure on the inner race, so when you tighten the axle there won't be any more pressure than there is now. It isn't like a car with tapered bearings that can be burned out.

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X