gasket remover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gasket remover?

just wondering what some you use to get gaskets off the head with out scratching it ?

Re: gasket remover?

A plastic scraper.

Earl

Originally posted by Stone_Breaker
    just wondering what some you use to get gaskets off the head with out scratching it ?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You can also get a spray on gasket remover that will soften the old gasket

Comment

I use an old chisel and a hammer.

Just kidding, it depends on what gasket. If it's the valve cover gasket, I use a razor blade and very carefully try and get between it and the head. If it's stubborn, I'll use a plastic scraper and really go at it. The head gasket itself should probably be soaked in gasket remover, then it should pull off in one piece.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

since the last arse who put a valve cover gasket my bike, practically glued the gasket on, I had a really tough time getting it off.

It was possible to use an exacto-knife for some parts, but a lot did stick on.

What I did, was use the abrasive side of a kitchen sponge, and gently (well, sometimes not so gently ) scrub the stuck on stuff off.

have fun :twisted:

Comment

I've never found any sort of elixir that makes a difference on 20+ year old gaskets and their residue. I seriously think some of that stuff gets harder than the aluminum -- abrasion will remove the aluminum before it touches those ancient compressed neutronium gaskets.

When I installed a different cylinder head on my bike, the gasket was so embedded that I gave up and had a machine shop just shave off the tiniest layer of aluminum to even it out. I think he only had to remove about .003 inch, not enough to change compression. At least not enough to worry about.

But it gave me a nice even, clean sealing surface and I've never had a head gasket problem.

With small parts, you can use a slurry of mild abrasive and water on a sheet of scrap glass to produce a clean, flat surface. Someone posted a how-to with pictures a while back.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

re gasket remover?

thanks for the the ideals . i think i'll try the spray on gasket remover form permatex before visiting the machine shop kind of low on funds right now. can the gasket remover srpay hurt any thing?

Comment

Carb cleaner softens old gaskets.

Comment

I use a Dremel tool with these 3M abrasive bits you can get at auto zone in a package with 3 diffrent pads and a shaft. Think it costs about $6 and you can buy other pads to fit the shaft as well. Then just put rags every where you don't want particles to go and start removing the gasket. You can also use a drill or die grinder if you don't have a Dremel.

Comment

Working...
                  X