Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pet cock leakage?

I pose this question to all, but more than likely Keith will answer it 1st
    OK, I put all the new seals in the 1981 GS1000G.
    IT STILL LEAKS!!! On main, it actually drips out! is this normal??
    Obviously, on prime and reserve fuel comes out, but I was under the understanding that the inlet pipe uses suction into the diaghram to let the diaghram pump, and let fuel out...... is it suppose to drip out???
    If not, why is it still leaking? this is why my crancases filled up in the 1st place. still waiting on float valves coming (3 weeks) must be coming by fast camel!

I think Keith is on vacation, just post in his PM box and fill it up so he knows we missed him.

Comment

NO it should not drip. I'm not sure which type you have you may be able to bend the spring to seal it better, also the O ring on some kits is actually too big keeping it from sealing

Comment

NO it should not drip. I'm not sure which type you have you may be able to bend the spring to seal it better, also the O ring on some kits is actually too big keeping it from sealing

Comment

You could always look into getting a shut-off valve and place it b/t the petcock and carbs.

Brad tt

Comment

valve

Yes, already thought of that, going to put one on this week.

Comment

I know it's $$$, but why not buy a Pingle? They are pretty nice after all.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: Fuel Pet cock leakage?

Vacuum on the petcock diaphram opens the passageway allowing fuel to gravity flow. It should not leak. My preference is to replace it with a Pingel petcock. Its a manual on, off, reserve, so you must always remember to turn it on at startup and turn it off at shutdown, but no leaks...ever. :-)
                some have had success with slightly stretching the spring in the stock vacuum petcock which makes the internal operation slightly stiffer.
                I doubt you need new float valves and float needles. It is true the float needle "O" rings is some rebuild kits are too small and they will leak. I too have had this problem. My solution has been to use Robert Barr "O" ring kits ($12). His fit perfectly, time after time, no more problems cycleorings.com/

The fuel inlet (float bow needle valve) is is slight press in fit. When you pull it out, you will find an "O" ring underneath. (or at least you should find one there LOL )

Earl

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
                I pose this question to all, but more than likely Keith will answer it 1st
                OK, I put all the new seals in the 1981 GS1000G.
                IT STILL LEAKS!!! On main, it actually drips out! is this normal??
                Obviously, on prime and reserve fuel comes out, but I was under the understanding that the inlet pipe uses suction into the diaghram to let the diaghram pump, and let fuel out...... is it suppose to drip out???
                If not, why is it still leaking? this is why my crancases filled up in the 1st place. still waiting on float valves coming (3 weeks) must be coming by fast camel!
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Petcock

Thanks earl. I will attempt to stretch the spring out a touch.
                  But I figured buying a new seal kit from K+L should have fixed it.
                  Failing that! how much are the Pingel fuel taps?

Comment

Re: Petcock

Its been a couple years since I bought one. I believe the Pingel valve was $70 and the adapter plate was about $10.

I'll looky see if I can find my source.

Edit.............
                    I had ordered mine from streetfighters but they no longer carry the Pingel petcocks. I looked in my Dennis Kirk catalog and they are on page 482 (if you have the catalog) The Dennis Kirk part number for the petcock for an 81 GS1000 is H18-203 cost is listed as $83.99 The adapter plate is 18-1576 if the center to center mounting bolt spacing on your petcock is 44mm (1.338 inches) or the adapter plate part number is 18-1678 if the center to center mounting bolt spacing is 50 mm (1.978 inches)
                    for either adapter plate, the cost is $11.99

I've always been happy with the service from Dennis Kirk, but they are not the usually the best price on things. I would be inclined to call Rob at cyclerecycle crc2onlinecatalog and ask what he might be able to do. Cant hurt.

Earl

Thanks earl. I will attempt to stretch the spring out a touch.
                    But I figured buying a new seal kit from K+L should have fixed it.
                    Failing that! how much are the Pingel fuel taps?

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I was talking about the O ring on the vacuum diaphram in the petcock

Comment

I just installed a new kit in my petcock and it does the same thing. It really bothered me. Hopefull, I can modify the spring and make it quit.

Terry

Comment

Just to add, if the "O" ring (as in some rebuild kits) is undersize, then "tweaking" the spring is not going to solve the problem.

Earl

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                          I was talking about the O ring on the vacuum diaphram in the petcock

Comment

Problem solved

Stipped down petcock and rechecked everything, put it back together again and still LEAKS! I checked on the Pingel stuff, Too expensive! went to my local bike shop and bought an in line fuel stop/switch.
                            Works perfect, no more flooded out crancases for me! all for $17.

Comment

Re: Problem solved

Hey, that works. Congrats! :-)

Earl

Stipped down petcock and rechecked everything, put it back together again and still LEAKS! I checked on the Pingel stuff, Too expensive! went to my local bike shop and bought an in line fuel stop/switch.
                              Works perfect, no more flooded o
                              ut crancases for me! all for $17.

Comment

Working...
                              X