Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you run 11.7:1 compression on the street?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you run 11.7:1 compression on the street?

Well I am picking up a new project/partout bike. (undecided)

an 83 gs1100E with biggggg pistons.

full fairing, 1428 wiseco block, cams, port/polish, 33mm smoothies, nice corbin seat works piggy back shocks, 18" magnesium wheels and I think a dyna 2000 ignition with grey coils.

sounds pretty tough and has a 1/4 throw throttle. Buddy of mine was unloading it and I couldn't pass it up.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Yes!! be sure to upgrade ignition to help reduce pre-ignition etc.
    Dink

Comment

What is the max for pump gas and no over heating problems? given you have the top end oiler, cooler, ignition.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

12.75 to 1 IMNSHO, compression ratio is more a matter of cylinder head design, the 16 V GS is a good design, porting has improved a lot since but even the latest combustion chambers dont look that different to what is in our GS's, so I just mirror polished my head,valves and piston crowns to reduce sharp edges which can lead to carbon build up and hence pre-ignition.
        Dink

Comment

Thanks Dink,

Don't know yet if it is 13.5 or not. but if it is I can buy some lower comp pistons. This thing is a rocket
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

you may have a heating prblem but because of the size of the motor

Comment

Instead of buying new pistons, just buy a spacer that fits under the block. I think Schnitz sells them for making turbo bikes with low comp. ratios. This is much cheaper and easier than new slugs.

Congrats on the find, and BTW, if you decide to ditch the 33 smoothies, send me a PM! 8)

Comment

ahhhh, buddy has but two extra base gaskets in it to lower it already but a spacer sounds easy. the only issue I see with that is the change in squoosh volume.

has anyone had experience with the spacer?
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I've also heard of people taking a base gasket to a machine shop and saying, "make one of these out of aluminum and XX thousandths thick".

This bike sounds like a total blast to ride!

Comment

Rob, I think you're biggest problem is going to be traction 8O What rear wheel are you running or planning too.

You can always back down the timing alittle or alot to prevent pinging. My mtc block is one solid piece so air does not flow between the cylinders for cooling, but does have thick fins. What does your block look like ? Since your in Canada you may not have much of an overheating problem say as being here in Texas.

Maybe a head temp gage with a themo pickup that goes around the spark plug. You could move it from sparkplug to sparkplug to see how hot each cylinder is.

Last but not lease post over on Dragbike and see if anybody over there has a daily driver 1428 bike.

I feel the need for SPEED.
                    I went bigger, Ryan went Busa, Rob went even bigger. I forgot to add Mr. Turbo Man Lecroy. It's like some big bad disease
                    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I don't think there is enough meat in the 1428 block to run it on the street.

Comment

it's a Wiseco block.

pics to follow
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

If your going to pull the motor apart,you can shave some of the peak or dome off of the top of the pistons and not have to use the spacer plates. A guy I used to work with did it all the time to the pistons for his micro midget. He couln't get pistons for the compression he wanted, so he "Made" them from higher pistons than he needed.

Comment

Have you seen what is new at TRAC Dynamics....? 300 section tire/wheel/swingarm kits utilizing a TWIN DRIVE "CLUBFOOT" design ,which means 2-chains (tandem like) & a swingarm mounted double sprocket........looks promising . What do you guys think ???

[/ihttp://www.tracdynamics.com/news/300_tire.jpgmg]

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X