Dyna 5 ohm vs 3 ohm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna 5 ohm vs 3 ohm

I know that the 3's are better than the 5's, and the 5's are better than stock, so I was wondering what kind of performance gain would i get from the 5's. I am asking because I have a line on some dyna dc8-1 twin tower 5 ohm coils for 1/3 or the msrp.

I am open to suggestions.

If these are no good let me know and i might just put them on ebay.
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

The 5 ohm coils dyna/stock etc. are usually used with a points type ign system

Comment

the primary side should always be the recomended range of ohms. The ohms are designed to work with the output of the ignitor box. I dont think better has anything to do with it.
      Perhaps one type of ignition system may be better but each system has coils that are of the recomended size to match the design requirements

Comment

Re: Dyna 5 ohm vs 3 ohm

GS models that were manufactured with points ignition systems used 5 ohm coils. Models manufactured with electronic ignition systems used 3 ohm coils.
        Suzuki factory manuals spec electronic ignitions as compatible with coils having a resistance between 2 and 5 ohms. You can use either in either application and it will not harm anything. A Dyna S can use either a 3 or 5 ohm coil also.

I dont believe there is any difference from a power/performance viewpoint. There may be some difference from a longevity standpoint, but since both are within Suzuki specs for either type system and also Dyna, I assume it is negligible.

Earl

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing
        I know that the 3's are better than the 5's, and the 5's are better than stock, so I was wondering what kind of performance gain would i get from the 5's. I am asking because I have a line on some dyna dc8-1 twin tower 5 ohm coils for 1/3 or the msrp.

I am open to suggestions.

If these are no good let me know and i might just put them on ebay.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks for setting me straight. I just won them on ebay for a great deal. I will let you guys know how the install goes.
          Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
          2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Working...
          X