Somebody needs to make one of these!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody needs to make one of these!

Got to thinking..somebody needs to engineer a high pressure oilpump we can all use to turbo our machines.
    Think the best way to do it would be a pump integrated into the points/pickup endcap on the right side..it could be extended perhaps an inch or so, be virtually stock looking, be driven off the 17mm, have a simple in & out fitting.
    Any of you have on of these caps sitting in your garage like me..I can picture one so clearly! Tempted to go to a drawing board & start scribbling.
    Cmon..somebody out there is bound to be a machinist.
    All great things start with one simple idea.
    _____________________________________Rick........

Go to:

Your motorcycle drag racing news source for everything Motorcycle Drag Racing related.

Your motorcycle drag racing news source for everything Motorcycle Drag Racing related.

I post under "geek". You will see some of my test data using the stock pump with the 750 gears. It's not that I could not hit the pressure, but the flow rates for the old Rajay. But it really has not seem to have been a problem.

Comment

'Geek'
      It not so much that high pressure cannot be obtained thru various nefarious means its' just so much of a hassle to pull the motor, split the cases to get at the pump. Then there is finding such the pump....pouring thru moantains of various engine parts trying to find the one you want. The labor would make it less of a likelyhood that most of us would WANT to do it. True the motor SHOULD be opened up to have the crank welded up & yes such an unobtrusive pump would make for more blown cranks. My idea is to have a pump easy to get to whereby most 'backyard' mechanics would easily entertain the notion of dropping a turbo(Common high pressure types) into their rides over the weekend.
      Mind you I could do most all the work in building up such an engine but the convenience of such a pump for the hobbiest builder would simplify things considerably.
      _______________________________________Rick.....

Comment

There is no need to pull the motor and split the cases to get at the pump. Just the clutch cover and the clutch. Assuming you are just changing the gears out.

The Mr. Turbo kit that I purchased did not mention changing the gears out. This was something I had done. It was a simple bolt on over the weekend job. If anything keeps people from playing with a turbo, it's not the time to install one but rather the cost. I think a new Mr. Turbo kit is around $4K. When you dropped $11K for the new bike the extra $4K may be hard to swallow.

I still agree with you that it would be nice to use a standard electric pump. This is what people were trying to do in these forums. I think the problem with doing this on a street bike is that an electric pump would require more power than the electrical system could handle.

If you have an idea for a better pump, I would be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Comment

There are a couple of guys with turbo Hayabusa's in town, one of the guys designed and built his own system (exhaust manifold and all) he uses an electric oil pump to drain oil from the turbo to the oil pan because the turbo is almost at the same level as the oil pan. This guy has been dogging the bike for almost a year now and no electrical issues or otherwise. By the way the turbo he's using came from a Mitsubishi Eclipse!

Comment

Todd,

I agree. I have seen a few bikes setup like this. There is a big difference between the two systems. The high pressure side of the turbocharger is still driven from the mechanical gear pump. It takes a lot more energy to supply the turbocharger than it does to return the oil to a low pressure case.

I also agree that this is the way to setup a bike, not like the old setup I am running.

Comment

Working...
            X