Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FORK "U"

Welcome to Fork University

This site is a great place to share information about old skool GS bikes. I've read through quite a few threads looking for information about fork swaps from the GSXRs. I've seen other looking for this info too, and as much information as everyone has, I find that many people make blanket statements about which years of GSXR 750 and 1100 will work or make the best (easiest) swap candidates.

While that info is greatly appreciated and probably right I still think it would make sense to start compiling accurate information on the forks from various years and models.
    I say this because as I searched EBAY for months looking for the holy grail forks I would send the sellers questions about how long their forks were and some of the answers weren't what I was expectng.

I'll start with the forks that I've bought. Right or wrong they are what I have and I'm going to try and make them work. If others have a micrometer and could take their own measurement information it would add to the knowedge base. I'm doing this more for the folks that will folllow this path.

Please add your own information if you have a set of GSXR fork and your sure of the dimensions, please don't guesss.

Year 1996
    Model GSX-R1100
    Dia. @ top of triple 49.90 mm
    Dia. @ bottom of triple 54.90 mm
    Length from top of fork to center of axel 30.5"
    Bearings are fully compatible with my 82 GS1100EZ

Issues: 96 GSXR 1100 ignition switch has 6 wires and top triple clamp doesn't except 82 GS1100 4 wire ignition without mods. Bottom clamp rides higher than original (closer to base of frame tube) which causes wiring loom to pinch when forks are turned full left. 17" tires and fork combination have dropped gap between base of Yoshi header and ground from 5.5" to 4.5". Stops will have to be relocated but I think that's a given.

I haven't ridden my bike yet as I'm still waiting to find rear tire, so I may find other issues. Would like to know how people are dealing with headlight mounting brackets or as some call them "Fork Ears" I've seen some custom ones from Highway Hawk but they are expensive

Hope others think this is a good idea and add their info.

T
Working...
X