Adjusting Slotted Cam Sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting Slotted Cam Sprockets

So I am all set to install my slotted sprockets and degree my cams. If the freakin' weather would cooperate anyway...

I have been thinking this through (this being my first time degreeing cams) and it has occurred to me that the final adjustments are going to be REALLY fine on the sprocket to camshaft phasing. Going from 106 to 108 lobe centers will make serious changes to the engine performance and that is only 2 degrees of crank rotation, which is only 1 degree of cam rotation. That seems very touchy to my eye...

So do the veterans out there have any tips for accurately and easily moving the cams and sprockets relative to one another? Or do I just keep fiddling with it until it comes out right?

Thanks,
    Mark

It's not that bad actually. I loosened the clap bolts just a bit and then grabbed the camshaft with some pliers on the cast surface and gave it a tweek. It only took a few times to get it right, then I move to the other cam. After both were done I rechecked each.

I also only spun the motor in one direction to keep the chain tension correct.

Use a dial indicator and don't use the cam lobe centers, make your measurements on either side - say 0.050" down - then average.

Comment

For minor adjusting I just use a small screwdriver and I stick it in the slot of the sprocket and push/pry the cam in the direction I want to go. Your right about the amount of movement, just a hair either way will do it. It also helps to keep the cam bolts just on the pinch side of snug when changing timing.

Also never turn the engine backwards if you miss your mark keep going clockwise until it pops up again.

On valve to piston clearance don't go below 50 thou on the intake and 75 thou on the exhaust.

Good Luck
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

On valve to piston clearance don't go below 50 thou on the intake and 75 thou on the exhaust.
        I am still running the stock cams and I am going to set them up to the stock settings in my manual, which are 109degrees intake and 110degrees exhaust. After I see what that does for the bike, I will decide if I want to try out 108/108 or what.

Thanks for the replies,

Mark

Comment

Mark, you mean 110 deg Intake and 109 deg exhaust right?.

I just finished mine yesterday and it took me a while because I measured and measured and double checked my measurements but I ended up putting them to the stock values.

I hope to give it a test ride soon.
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Mark, you mean 110 deg Intake and 109 deg exhaust right?.
            Duh, that would be correct. See what happens when you trust your memory?

I hope to give it a test ride soon.
            Let us know how it goes. I will be doing mine over the next few nights or the Easter weekend. It is currently cold and snowing and is supposed to stay that way for the next week, so my first ride will be a week or two off at least.

Mark

Comment

Working...
            X