Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell Me I'm Crazy (Please)

In the continuing cam degreeing saga...

Tonight I put the carbs aside and started in on pulling the cams and installing the slotted sprockets. I got the tensioner out and cleaned up no problem. Then I went to set the timing marks and line up the cams with the stock timing marks (you know, timing marks lined up on the crank, #1 marking on exhaust cam sprocket lined up with the gasket surface on the head). When the crank timing marks are lined up, the #1 on the EX cam sprocket does NOT line up at all with the gasket surface. It looks for all the world like it is one tooth off, above the gasket surface. That is, the timing is retarded by a full tooth. Is this possible? Would the engine run like that? I had a timing belt jump two teeth on a car once and it ran like garbage in that condition. The bike ran fine when I picked it up last fall, but I only got about 150km on it before parking it and the fork seals were leaking, front brakes contaminated with oil, etc., so I was not ripping it up much on the rides I took. But it started and idled fine and generally behaved OK.

BTW, the timing between intake and exhaust cams is correct, it's just that the whole assembly seems to be off.

WTF? :?

Mark (remember, Joe Nardy told me to ask lots of questions - how am I doing? )

OK your crazy. No idea about your topic...but you asked for it.

Comment

Yes Mark you are crazy it is why I like you
      It very possible for a GS to run a full tooth, in fact even two teeth retarded or advanced, as the accuracy of Suzuki camtiming was not huge at the time, I have heard of several motors that were 15 to 17 degrees out stock and one in particular that was 32 degrees out.
      Mind you when you get it fixed oh boy are you gonna enjoy it!!
      Dink

Comment

It very possible for a GS to run a full tooth, in fact even two teeth retarded or advanced, as the accuracy of Suzuki camtiming was not huge at the time, I have heard of several motors that were 15 to 17 degrees out stock and one in particular that was 32 degrees out.
        Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dink. I guess it just got assembled or re-assembled incorrectly somewhere in it's checkered past... The part I can't believe is that it made 102 rwhp in that condition. It should really rip when I get this sorted out.

Tonight I will check the cam timing as it sits before I do anything else. I wasn't going to worry about how far it was out, but now I HAVE to know what lobe centers it is sitting at. I will repot back when I have some numbers...

Mark

Comment

If the tensioner is still out, put it in. It is very difficult, in my experience, to check the cam chain position with it out. There is just too much slack.

Comment

If the tensioner is still out, put it in. It is very difficult, in my experience, to check the cam chain position with it out. There is just too much slack.
            It is indeed out, as I was planning on pulling the cams and installing the slotted sprockets when I noticed the timing issue. The slack has not affected the position (yet), since I only rotated the motor forward a slight bit to get the crank timing marks to line up (maybe half a turn) and the chain is still tight between the crank sprocket and the exhaust cam sprocket. When I go to degree the cams tonight, I will definitely have to re-install it to get good numbers.

Sharp eye there, Swanny.

Mark

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me when I replaced head,base gaskets and "O" rings and was setting the valve timing. Put the cams in and set the timing to the marks, install the tensioner, wrench it through a revolution slowly and check the marks. Its one tooth off. take it out, do it again, an d its still one tooth off. :-) Intake to exhaust relationship is correct, but the whole thing is one tooth off. lol
              someone set it without the tensioner in place, then installed the tensioner and never checked it.

Earl

Originally posted by Dink
              Yes Mark you are crazy it is why I like you
              Mind you when you get it fixed oh boy are you gonna enjoy it!!
              Dink
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
              X