Swing arm woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing arm woes

I want to put a bigger tire on the back of the 1100e. Many of you have changed the swing arm with old gsxr's, added a mono shock, etc. How hard is it to do that? Is this one of those find a shop and pay if you want it done right things? I'm on a mission to rebuild my old 1100e into the hot rod I want. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

I used two GS1150 swingarms to come up with an 8" inch extended arm. I then cut all the monoshock stuff off, welded rear shock mounts on it for the 81 shocks and added a 5.5 GSXR complete rear wheel and brakes. I also run a 530 chain now which is easy because GSXR sprockets fit the front. I plan to go single shock in the future but The bike works really well like it is and I kind of like the two back shocks. Yo can buy a Trac arm already set up for a wide tire for the GS.

Comment

Big t,
      Thanks for the info, How hard was it to do?

Comment

Matt you are aware that a 5.5"x 17" wheel will go into the stock swingarm??
        See Katmans ICBM Katana thread, the early pages.
        Dink

Comment

Not really hard for me but then I had access to a Machine shop at work where I could TIG weld. I used a piece of solid stock Alum. bar and pressed it into the front half cut 1150, about 4 inches and welded. I then did the same for the piece from the donor 1150 arm. Now I had an arm 8" inches extended. I used sheet Alum. to fill in the gaps between the two so it would look like a one piece arm. I boxed the space in then ground off the welds to give it a stock look. It will fit a stock arm. I just wanted the look of the extended arm.

Comment

I had a new swingarm built from scratch that bolted on, I added gsxr suspension. It wasnt hard. Cost about 2,000 with the new shock I had built. I did the lay out for the arm specs and mocked up the rear suspension. I also made my own adjustable dog bones.

Before that I had a 5inch wide wheel in the stock width arm, witha 170 tire. I also had a strut at one time in the stock 1150 suspension linkage.

I can e mail you the pictures I have if you want. E mail me

billjf@cableaz.com
            EULC ON

Comment

GSbill, Don't you miss the old 1150. I had my GS at the local track Saturday and in a sea of Hayabusa's it just kind of stands out. I bet 15 people asked if I wanted to sell it. I love my old GS.

Comment

Miss it? I kick myself daily over it....This website helps me cope...I do know it has a good owner..One of my sponsors bought the bike...We stay in touch..
                EULC ON

Comment

I dont know how many offers for my 1150's I've turned down. Post pics once the wider wheel is on.

Comment

From Time to time I get to thinking of selling my GS1100E but it has so many hand made parts by me and it was done over time that I could not replace it very easy. Sure there are faster bikes but it has a sort of "Cool" factor to it. Plus it's easy to work on and I just like it.

Comment

Both of you are wiser than I was in regards to your bikes...
                      EULC ON

Comment

Naw, Your proably just like me and thought... Well I have had it for a while and now I want something else. I do it but when I buy another bike I put the GS away in the back of the Garage. Now trading is a different story. I am always up for a trade!

Comment

That's what I love about this website. Normal guys thinking like me. No I didn't know i could put a bigger tire on there thanks. I just wanted alittle more sneaker in the back. I will never part with mine, but i do like the big ass lokk of todays machines. 70,000 miles and still going strong.

Comment

Big T, I'd like to see pictures of your bike..it looks great in your avatar.
                            EULC ON

Comment

OK, I'll try and post some pics of it. It is 2000 Mustang blue now kinda the color of the blue on your 1150 tank. Plus all of the engine covers, triple tree and footpegs have been chrome plated. I had chrome wheels on it but sold them and put some 92 model GSXR1100 wheels on it. They are silver.

Comment

Working...
                              X