DJ jet kit differences between 8 and 16 valve GS1100s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DJ jet kit differences between 8 and 16 valve GS1100s

I recently picked up an 82 GS1100L. The previous owner had a V&H 4 into 1 pipe installed and had the carbs rejetted for the pipe. The mains were 122.5s. He then installed some aftermarket pod filters, but never rejetted the bike for them. When I bought the bike, it would hardly run off idle. I cleaned the carbs and picked up a K&N jet kit for it. The main jets for stage 3 in this kit are 165 and 170 mains. I replaced the needle and have it set at the 3rd groove from the top, and have tired both the 170s and 165s with the same result. The bike runs great, except from 3/4 to full throttle, where it bogs badly. I'm pretty sure that these mains are way too big. Looking at Dynojet's site, the kit they show for the 8 valve GS1100 has the 165 and 170 mains, but the kit for the 16 valve GS1100 has 132 and 138 mains. My question is why is there such a difference in the sizes of these jets, and what main jet sizes are you other 8 valve owners running with pods and pipes? I'm getting ready to order some new jets, but would like to hear from some of you before I drop the bucks. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I've got a 16v 1100, but I have pods and pipe and have found the 138's to be perfect. Needle in the 3rd highest notch.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks Jethro. That's what I've been reading when I've done a search on this. I'm hoping someone with an 8-valve will be able to give me a clue where I should start with the main jets. I don't know if I should start at DJ138 and work my way up, or if there is really a reason why the main jets in the DJ kit are so much larger for 8-valve engines.

Comment

Working...
      X