Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000s swingarm in 77 GS750

Hey all,
    Has anybody tried swapping a Aluminum GS1000S swing arm into a 77 GS750?
    I'm tryin this swap in my 750 dragbike,but have run into a small snag-the swingarm pivot bolt is a different diameter(the thou is larger).
    What I need is a inner sleeve that fits the I.D. of the Thou swingarm bearings and the O.D. of the 750 pivot. Suspension travel isn't a issue as the bike is strutted and essencially a "rigid". I just have to keep the swingarm mounted securely in place,so maybe some kind of a solid bushing would surfice.......?
    I also need a pivot bolt thats about 40mm longer than stock because I am installing Tarozzi rearsets and the current bolt is too short to pass through the rearset mounting plates. Also,the brake arm for the rearsets has about twice as many splines as the 750 brake pedal shaft. Is there a OEM shaft that I can use to rectify this problem?
    Thanx for any and all help,
    RIFLEMAN

Well the GS1000 didn't come with an aluminum swingarm so the one you have is already an after market job and as such there is no telling what was done to the GS1000 to make it fit in there.

If it were not for that it would be a straight swap out because the GS1000 and the GS750 use the same swingarm.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Didn't the "S" model have a aluminum swingarm? This is a Suzuki OEM swingarm/dualshock. It fits in the 750 frame,but the pivot diameters are different.
      Any ideas?

Comment

Well you have me second guessing myself now but to the best of my knowledge none of the GS bikes from any year came with an aluminum swingarm. That would be an aftermarket part. I am 99% sure of that but will leave room for error

Anyone else? Help out here please. I would hate to me giving bad info but I am pretty sure what I have said is right.

Here is a drawing from Bike Bandit of the 79 1000S swingarm:

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
          Well you have me second guessing myself now but to the best of my knowledge none of the GS bikes from any year came with an aluminum swingarm. That would be an aftermarket part. I am 99% sure of that but will leave room for error

Anyone else? Help out here please. I would hate to me giving bad info but I am pretty sure what I have said is right.

Here is a drawing from Bike Bandit of the 79 1000S swingarm:
          http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...id~1016340.asp
          From the 1980 GS1100 upto the 84 GS1150 they all had aluminium swing arms, Katana's too of course, and those arms fit directly into a GS1000 I have read.
          1150 has a monoshock but I don't know if it's alu. :?

There's your 1% Hoomie

Comment

Robin is correct - those swingarms are the "holy grail" of stock retrofits ... the KZ guys love them too!! :twisted:

The all aluminum swingarm was only used for a couple of years on the 1100's - I still see them on Ebay every once and while. 8)

I have one installed on my 82 gs750 - had to drill out the swingarm bolt mounting boss's in the frame - the pivot bolt is a larger diameter than the stock one for the 750 frame.

Comment

Katman had several of them for sale a while for $75 a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
                I have one installed on my 82 gs750 - had to drill out the swingarm bolt mounting boss's in the frame - the pivot bolt is a larger diameter than the stock one for the 750 frame.
                Well that's exactly what he was asking! There is your answer man

But now riddle me this guys. Was I at least right bout the 79GS1000S that he asked about? If it has this aluminum arm on it then someone would have had to do it custom because they did not come with them? Correct?

And, I thought the 750 frame and the 1000 frame were virtually identicle in this regard? Why is drilling needed?

I am kind of asking the same questions he is for reasons I will not yet disclose

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                  Originally posted by shaftzuki
                  Well that's exactly what he was asking! There is your answer man

But now riddle me this guys. Was I at least right bout the 79GS1000S that he asked about? If it has this aluminum arm on it then someone would have had to do it custom because they did not come with them? Correct?

And, I thought the 750 frame and the 1000 frame were virtually identicle in this regard? Why is drilling needed?

I am kind of asking the same questions he is for reasons I will not yet disclose
                  You're right Mark. The 79-80 GS1000S (8v motors) did not have the aluminum swing arm. However earlier 1000 Katanas (16v motors) did and they also had the 1000S designation in the US market only. Everywhere else they were an 1100S.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                  https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

:? possibly this arm is a early GS1100(E) arm. It came with a 78 GS1000S clone basketcase I bought. IT IS A SUZUKI ARM. It fits the 750 frame from side to side,I just have to rig a pivot bolt.

Comment

Sounds like the shocks should just be a bolt up for you once you get the axle bored then. Rock on man

Comment

If I was using shocks. Its a dragbike and strutted.

Comment

Bash out the needle roller bearings, they're probably stuffed anyway, and turn up some bronze bushes mate, and you're done.

I know you're running a rigid arse-end, but even back in the 1970's people were "binning" the needle roller bearings and fitting bronze bushes, they're heaps stronger than the needle roller bearings and don't rust when errant owners forget to grease them! Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Terry,
                            Exactly what I intend to do,just having a little trouble locating stock.,but thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                            X