94 GSX-R Wheels and front end on a '78 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 GSX-R Wheels and front end on a '78 GS1000

I bought a 94 GSX-R 600 front end and wheels to put on my '78 GS1000 and noticed that the rear sprocket is smaller on the GSX-R than on my GS. I am assumming it is a 530 series. So to make the swap do I need a 530 chain and front sprocket or is there a 630 rear sprocket that will fit on the 600 wheel?
    Also the rear sprocket off of the 600 has 46 teeth and my GS rear sprocket has 42 teeth. If I get a new 530 front sprocket to go with the rear how many teeth should I get to accomplish the same gear ratio?

Re: 94 GSX-R Wheels and front end on a '78 GS1000

Originally posted by Jkev
    I bought a 94 GSX-R 600 front end and wheels to put on my '78 GS1000 and noticed that the rear sprocket is smaller on the GSX-R than on my GS. I am assumming it is a 530 series. So to make the swap do I need a 530 chain and front sprocket or is there a 630 rear sprocket that will fit on the 600 wheel?
    Also the rear sprocket off of the 600 has 46 teeth and my GS rear sprocket has 42 teeth. If I get a new 530 front sprocket to go with the rear how many teeth should I get to accomplish the same gear ratio?
    You won't find a 630 sprocket for the GSXR wheel, so you need a 530 for the GS.

A little calculations and you can determine the correct number of teeth.

GS_R_teeth......................GSXR_R_teeth
    ------------- x GS_dia_W = ----------------- X GSXR_dia_W
    GS_F_teeth......................GSXR_F_teeth

Note: spaces don't work so I had to use (...)

Find out what selection you have for 530 front and pick the number of teeth, the solve for the rear.

Comment

What 530 front sprocket will fit a Gs1000 (since they came with 630)? Do I order one for a GSXR 600,750,1000? Are they all interchangeable?

Comment

On my 81 GS1100E I have a front sprocket from a 2001 Hayabusa on it. Bandit/ Oilcooled work also.

Comment

The splines on the ''older'' Suzuki sprockets correspond with the GSXR range and the like. I went to my local bike store and was able to select a front sprocket between 14t to 17t which were intended for an '92 GSXR750W.
          You will need to fab a spacer to line it up with the rear wheel. That said, if the wheels are off a GSXR600 they are 3,5" front and 5,5" rear. You will need an offset front sprocket to be able to clear the tyre. So, have your sprockets machined at the local engineering shop. Take the old 630 one and have it machined down (remove teeth) into an adapter to be able to weld the new 530 one onto. Have the centre of the new one removed to be able to fit the sprocket nut. Have it welded; done.

Good luck, Marco.

Comment

Eh, just found a source where you can get offset 530 sprockets ready to use.

Good luck dude.

Marco.

Comment

Working...
            X