Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 GS1100E Prostreet project. More strip than street now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS1100E Prostreet project. More strip than street now.

My new motor is almost ready to start putting together. The current 1168 motor just can't get the job done anymore. Currently several of the Busa's, 12's & 1000's here locally are runing in the 5.70's- maybe high 5.60's in the 1/8th mile. These are turbo and NOS bikes. So I am updating the GS11 for some more Grunt. I have most of the parts. I bought a 1100 Promod topend package. The cams are a little big but the head is top notch with titanium valves. This head package was used and went a best of 4.39 in the 1/8th on the bike it came off of. MTC bigblock 1560cc 12:1 comp. Falicon crank. plus a ton more stuff. 2 dial Schnitz NOS controller. (125hp shot, maybe more). Pushbutton start. I am looking to run in the 5.0's in the 1/8th and 8.teen's in the 1/4mile. and still be able to do mild streetriding. I want to show oldschool is still able to haul the mail!

Re: 81 GS1100E Prostreet project. More strip than street no

Originally posted by Big_T
    MTC bigblock 1560cc 12:1 comp. 2 dial Schnitz NOS controller. (125hp shot, maybe more). Pushbutton start. I want to show oldschool is still able to haul the mail!
    A couple of things. I run a 1428 motor with very low compression and could not make it start on 12V.

So, if I put that 125hp shot on my 5hp briggs lawn mower, will I get 130hp?
    Stupid marketing people anyway.

I have looked at the schnitz controller. Nice! I am thinking to switch to their ignition at some point.

Keep us posted.

Comment

What kind of Battery did you have? I used the FBG on my 1428 streetbike and it would crank. I used the timing retard mode on the igniton to start it. I have several of the welded starter clutches leftover from it, I wonder how many bolts I sheared off with it before welding them? The 125 shot I mentioned was dynoed HP. You set it up with jet sizes to get HP. I figured a HP # would be easier to vision than stating jet sizes in a post. most People relate better to a HP figure. My friend runs the Schnitz ignition, It's nice but I already have a nice ignition setup that will work for now. Brad Mumerets 80 GS1100 shootout bike & Dany Cables 1150 are setup similar to mine. Both are 7 sec. 1/4 mile bikes and pushbutton start.

Comment

I tried a few different batteries including a Hawker and Genesis. I never welded my starter clutchs and have never had any problems. Funny how things are so different.

About the only way you see any kits sold now are with some kind of HP rating. Means nothing.

7s are smoking for any bike. Get some video of you making the pass.

Comment

Yea I know, HP figures proably sell better. I don't expect to run in the 7's. I am about 225LBS. right now. However I would like to get low 8's out of it. plus looking for a good 1/8th mile time. The bike has a 68" inch wheelbase. Still wheelies pretty good. I need to get a vid recorder. The only vid I have of me running is a crappy night one when I Won a local shootout race on my Turbo Busa shot from the stands. plus a couple of Prostar photo's I'll try and get some.

Comment

I agree with you 100%. The HP number is good for sales.

That bike in my last video I think has about $8,000 in the head alone. The driver (my guess) is around 160. I think the bike is around 370 or so. That was the quickest run the bike ever made at 8.04. Not all that important. It was built to run T/G. Does give you an idea how though those 7 second numbers are to get.

When were you running in ProStar? Which class?

Comment

Several years but only when they come close to home. Atlanta, Memphis and Montgomery AL.( they stopped going there). I only entered street ET and tried to make the field in Shootout with the Busa but never did. I figure I would need over 400 HP to the ground to go in the 7's and there are a lot more factors than just HP. I have a really good Head and bottom end but not near that kind of power, the bike needs better rear shock setup too. I hope it runs good though, Where I work we have a buch of bike racers ( Street Class ). And there is an 1/8th mile drag strip right up the road from the plant. Everybody brings there bike to work on thursday nights and we go race each other after work. Then brag in the lunch room the next day. It's always somebody different and it's fun. Sunday's too. There was over 100 streetbikes there.

Comment

The NX kit on my 1150 gave hp pretty close to the claimed numbers from NX. At about 635lbs, we ran 9.0's making about 250hp, 68". The bike had 8's in it, but the rider didnt get the 60 ft times where they should have been. MPH was around 160. The bike should have been running 8.80's or so. That was still not enough to out run those turbo Busa's..

We also had a small motor, 1197. I see a lot of high power bikes capable of low, low 8's. Seat time will get you there after you make the power.

I'm going to guess you may need 300hp give or take a fuzz and a 1.40 or better short time...Plus everything else just right...Just my 2 cents worth..Good Luck..

I am missing the fun!
                EULC ON

Comment

I have had a best of a 1.41 60ft. so far. I hope to have 325 to 350 RWHP on spray. We will see in May. I liked my Turbo Busa, The smart thing to do would sell all this GS stuff and build another Busa Turbo. But I just love my GS!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_T
                    I have had a best of a 1.41 60ft. so far. I hope to have 325 to 350 RWHP on spray. We will see in May. I liked my Turbo Busa, The smart thing to do would sell all this GS stuff and build another Busa Turbo. But I just love my GS!
                    Do you del with Steve Johnson at all??

Comment

I fully understand the travel thing. Now with gas prices going up, it sure won't help things.

Street ET seems like a fun class to run. The faster bike use it to make time trials so you get a nice mix. Plus they allow electronics. I wish the local tracks around here would open things up a bit. At least on non points days.

I am not sure how much power that T/G bike puts out. I doubt it is near that, but I could be wrong. You have the weight to deal with as well which is going to make a major difference.

I would love to have a track close by. It takes me about 1.5 hours to get to a local track. We don't have a lot of bikes that run. Most show up on test a tune night, but very few come on race days. Different people as well. I'm thinking maybe 20 bikes last weekend. 6 on race day.

Hey Bill, most of the T/G bikes I see are running slower than 160MPH in the low 8's. Of course they play that cat and mouse game. But that 157MPH 8.04 pass was running full out (except it bumped the limiter at the far end). That's all motor. No spray, no boost.

Comment

Big T...dont sell the GS..trust me on this one...Keep us all posted!
                        EULC ON

Comment

Lecroy,

Its really amazing what the no bar bikes do on the top half..Big mph for their et's...I've seen them blow by me like their shot out of a cannon...
                          EULC ON

Comment

Lecroy, that's a shame you have such a small turnout and have to travel so far. Right behind the Mercedes-Benz plant where I work is a nice 1/8th mile drag strip. We go every thursday night after work. There are two 1/4 mile tracks a little over an hour away. 4 1/8th mile tracks close by. there are more bikes now than ever. Most of them streetbikes. I just want the GS to be in the hunt. Everybody has a Busa. I just like my GS and want it to be fast.

Comment

I have run a best of 8.15@181 on my katana at 68", motor is ex-godzuki 1428, starts no problem hot or cold on 12v. I weighed about as much as you when i ran that time, have since dropped about 20 pounds, looking to drop another 10.

Bike is for sale, if anyone is interested, building an outlaw bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X