DoH!!! back wheel swop big problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DoH!!! back wheel swop big problems

help plz!!!!!! The effin rear wheel will not line up, On the sprocket side or on the brake side where the tyre is rubbing on the swingarm. the rear brake holder will not fit or the spacer i.e. at the same time

Swingarm is stock gs1150e 1984
    wheel 4.5in gsf600 bandit
    chin and sprockets is 530
    sprocket holder is gsx600f (kat) 1/4in smell then bandit's
    braker holder is bandit

but on a good point i have fitted the brakes on the front gsxr nissan 4 pots caliper and 17in front wheel

thx redeyes

What wheel spacers are you using? Is the sprocket spaced over? This is a custom job, unless someone has done the same thing (same bike, same wheels, etc.) you are goning to be pretty much on your own. Katman and others have done this type of mods. Not the same bike that I know of however.

Comment

You have to make new spacers and possibly machine some off the brake assembly. You may have to make a new brake stay too. I had a 4.5 inch rear wheel with a 160 or 170 tire in my 1150 at one time...My arm was extended 3 inches...You may have tire clearance issues side to side, with a stock length arm..I dont know for sure. You may also need to space out or get an offset front sprocket. You may have to machine away material inside your stock sprocket cover for chain clearance. It smay sound like a lot, but its all simple work. Just go slow, one step at a time.
      EULC ON

Comment

The 4.5" was a little too wide for my swingarm as well. I shaved a little off one side of the caliper hanger. Be careful which side you shave to keep the caliper aligned with the rotor. Should be the outside you shave. I had three or four right side spacers to pick from and used the narrowest one. It was still tight after that. I took a small hydraulic jack and spread the swingarm near the axle. I had to spread it about an inch so once the jack was removed and everything relaxed I ended up with about another 1/4" of clearance. You may have to come up with another way to lock the axle nut once your done.

Comment

One other thing, to make the brake torque arm fit just bend it to fit around the tire.

Comment

thanks for the help

Thank for the help

P.S how had would it be to fit complete Bandit or gsxr swinger?

Comment

I dont know all the details on that swap, but you would need a fabricator to weld top shock mounts on your frame. It takes a bit of work to get the correct geometry, so you have the right ride height and the suspension working properly. You would have to address swingarm bearings and spacers for the later model swingarm. If you get to welding on your frame, its a good idea to completly disconnect all electrical components from the bike, grounds and all.
              EULC ON

Comment

The pivot point on the Gixxer swingarms is wider than the GS stuff. You have to flycut the frame or alter the swingarm to make room. A couple of mounting points on the frame for the shock linkage have to be fabbed too. I'd really study an assembled bike like the donor parts came off of to get the angles right. Measure the distance on your bike with stock parts between the axle and some point straight up with the suspension fully extended. This is so you can get the ride heighth where you want it with the new parts.

Comment

Also, the newer GSXR swingarms (I'm using a 2002) have much larger bolts and pivot areas. Quite a bit of fab work needs to be done to use them.

Comment

If I ever get around to using the '93 banana swingarm I have I can use my stock bushings and shorten them so I can use my stock pivot bolt.

Comment

I put a gsxr rear suspension on my 1150, using an 1150 style swingarm that was custom made. The fab work and shock ran about 1,300 bucks. We did much of the work ourselves. The arm was 600 bucks. I made my own adjustable dog bones. I was using early 90's 750 parts and had no width problems. I always thought you could gut the 1150 free floating suspension and and go to a gsxr type using the 1150 parts, by just welding a top shock mount to the frame and having a shock made to work off the stock 1150 swingarm mounts. I never got to try it.

Either way, its a good idea to add material to the 1150 frame where you mount the tabs for a top shock mount.
                      EULC ON

Comment

Thank for the help

Just got a 1987 gsx1100ef frame off ebay for ?70($100 I think) so well get new swingarm, linkage and shock. The frames woz fitted with a gsxr1100 swinger so the mods on the frame as bin done. I will let you all on how it go's

thanks for all the help!

Red

Comment

That sounds good...Post a link to the picture of it.
                          EULC ON

Comment

I will post link to the pic.
                            The frame will be here wed, all so got some one who will but my 4.5 wheel in for me for free. DOH!! 8O
                            An old friend he's got gsx1230efe with all the mod's not seen him for 6 year's he add stop out side my work and woz looking at my bike.

Red

Comment

Its in the back wheels is in thanks to jim king(General Lee) who fitted it. hat to have the sprocket holder milled down by 10mm, offset spocket made up and brake holder milled down to. next its the new torque arm.

and thank you all for your help
                              Jim kings General lee http://www.bigccracing.com/readersri...e/1%20(20).jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X