GS400 new wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS400 new wheels

Are there any wheels off newer bikes that will fit on my '78 GS400? My goals/reasons for doing a wheel swap are as follows:

A. Better available rubber
    B. Get a front disc brake (instead of drum)
    C. It'll look cool 8)

Hi Spots25,

Changing a front wheel from drum to disc brake will mean you will need to change the forks to allow the fitment of the disc caliper. This can get pretty tricky if you are trying to mix and match different wheels and forks. The easiest way would be to get a complete front end from a donor bike including caliper and master cylinder - the later model Suzuki GSX250F Across (made from 1990 onwards) have a single disc front with modern 3 spoke mags which should fit - although you may have to shop around for suitable steering head bearings. There's a lot of these bikes at wreckers here now (Australia), so they should be becoming popular parts bikes almost anywhere. You'll also probably find the Across rear wheel would slot into your GS400 swingarm fairly easily too. Take your tape measure to the wreckers and have a look.

Good luck!

Comment

I appreciate the words of warning, but the fork (right I believe) has caliper mounts on it already. It appears the '78 GS400 was availible both disc and drum, and the only difference is the wheel and brake lever

Comment

I'd put the front and rear end off of a GS500 on it. Can't be too difficult, there are lots of them around and you will have the modern rubber without going too wide. Just weld some lugs to the swingarm for the shocks (or convert to monoshock).

Good luck, Marco.

Comment

I like the gold anodized mags on my '80 GS450S. Bet they would go right on. Check my pic in the gallery...

Comment

Originally posted by IanFrancisco
            I like the gold anodized mags on my '80 GS450S. Bet they would go right on. Check my pic in the gallery...
            looks good... what size of tires do they take? Also, are they tubeless, or tubed?

Comment

The OE tires were 3.00-18 front and 3.50-18 rear, tube type. I am currently running 90/90-18 front and 110/90-18 rear, both Avon Roadrunners (AM20 & AM21) which work great. They are tubeless but the rims are not so I am running tubes. I had some trouble getting tires to fit. 100/90 front and 120/90 rear were too big, wouldn't clear the fender in front or the swing arm in back. Cost me about $17 ea. in restocking fees (argh). I was trying to go as big as possible which was a mistake. These bikes are light enough (and not powerful enough) to not need meaty rubber.

Comment

Ok, easier question: what old GS wheels swap over?

Comment

If going to other wheels I would go for GS500E stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
                    If going to other wheels I would go for GS500E stuff.
                    would they fit without much modification?

Comment

Working...
                    X