No announcement yet.

Miles pr. gallon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 86 GS750ES gets 220KM on 11.5 Litres ($12 CDN a fill) 19.13 Kilos Per Litre

Thats 136 Miles on 3.04 Gallons ($9.84 USD a fill) 44.73 MPG

Comment

So what you all are saying is that my 75 miles to a tank on 3.3 gallons of gas (22mpg) is pretty bad. The carbs have been thoroughly cleaned and the bike is jetted for a V&H 4-1 and pods but when it was all stock it got about the same mileage. That is 100% around town, with a couple of minute warmup before riding it to class or around town.

Comment

I guess it could depend on your riding style...

I accelerate fast, and cruse in high end of 4th, or low end of 5th. I tend to spend a lot of time waiting at traffic lights... I dunno what to tell you.

Comment

In town I get about 33mpg. On the freeway nonstop I get 37.5mpg at 70-80mph. This is with my 82 GS750, and yes thats horrendous. I should be getting mid-low 40s in town.

This is the first time I've seen someone with absolutely stellar gas mileage ask if they're getting good gas mileage.

Comment

That's about dead-on identical to what I'm doing with an 82 750. Hopefully we can both get our bikes sorted out soon!

Comment

Unless you're doing burnouts and launching from stoplights on one wheel all day long, 22 mpg is astoundingly horrible. There is something very out of whack for it to be that low. My 750 in dire need of a tune up with burned down old points and sparkplugs on their last breath would get 35 mpg around town. Well tuned, it got 40-45 mpg in stop and go traffic.
              I recorded 49 mpg last week on my 1150 on the highway and at 115 mph, it still gets 33 mpg.

Earl

Originally posted by pasteurized
              So what you all are saying is that my 75 miles to a tank on 3.3 gallons of gas (22mpg) is pretty bad. The carbs have been thoroughly cleaned and the bike is jetted for a V&H 4-1 and pods but when it was all stock it got about the same mileage. That is 100% around town, with a couple of minute warmup before riding it to class or around town.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

gas mileage

I cruise the winding back roads in kansas city going about 50 to 80 and get 55mpg consistantly on my 83 gs 650L. Its running great!!!!

Comment

miles per gallon

Dont't know about miles but my GS 1150efe on a full tank and full niose playing with the boys gets about 220/240 km a tank before I hit reserve

Comment

RPM at 60 MPH on 81 GS1100EX

In reply to Mysuzyq [Whats your rpm @60 mph with the 41 tooth sprocket? I hear that adding/subtracting a tooth on the countershaft=4teeth on the back sprocket.]

That may be true I don't have that info. What I was told by Suzuki certified mechanics is that I should take teeth off the back instead of add to the front. I was an engineering student at the time and his explaination made sense. Although I cannot relate it verbatum it delt with increasing forces applied to materials designed for a certain level of stress tolerance. At the time GS1100s were twisting cranks so I took his advice. 24 years and no problems so far.

At 60MPH I am turning around 3500 RPM. Checked this yesterday. It cruises at near 4000RPM at about 65 to 70 MPH. I may have to count the teeth to make sure I don't have a 40 tooth. Memory goes as you get older you know. Rear tire size, tire pressures, wind and fairing factors effect this ratio.

Checked, I have a 40.

40/15=2.6666666 is approximately equal to 42/16=2.625 There is probably less material strain using the former due to the % reduction in size on the rear sprocket would be much less the % increase on the front.

Gas milage was in the high 40s the last time I checked.

Also can someone let me know how to do the he/she said quoting format thing. I can't figure it out.

Comment

Re: RPM at 60 MPH on 81 GS1100EX

Originally posted by retrex
                      Also can someone let me know how to do the he/she said quoting format thing. I can't figure it out .
                      Hit the "quote" button in top right corner of the persons post you want to
                      quote. This will open a reply window with the quote in it.

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
                        Also can someone let me know how to do the he/she said quoting format thing. I can't figure it out .
                        Hit the "quote" button in top right corner of the persons post you want to
                        quote. This will open a reply window with the quote in it.

Still not in with the hip crowed. All I did was hit the Qoute button in beby99's post and typed after end of last [/quote]. Where am I going wrong?

Comment

Still not in with the hip crowed. All I did was hit the Qoute button in beby99's post and typed after end of last
                          . Where am I going wrong?[/quote]

Don't know...looks right to me. Try asking this question in the Letters to
                          Editors section. You should get lots of replys.

Comment

Cruising at 130 kmph, with a 13 L (3.3g) tank, I get about 200km per tank .

so , I get about 41mpg, on my '80 850L.

your doing pretty good!

Comment

Originally posted by beby99

Still not in with the hip crowed. All I did was hit the Qoute button in beby99's post and typed after end of last
                              . Where am I going wrong?
                              Don't know...looks right to me. Try asking this question in the Letters to
                              Editors section. You should get lots of replys.
                              Good advice. It was BBC not switched on in preferences.

Comment

I'm getting about 39 mpg with rejetted carbs, mixed highway / city with a daily caged yuppie humiliation. Been getting alot of riding in lately. Yesterday was the first time I filled the car's tank in over 3 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X