What should this run...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should this run...?

I recieved this 79' GS1000 for free from a friend after it had been sitting for about 6 years. Another guy gave it to him.

Anyway when I did the head gasket swap, I noticed that it had a 1085 high compression kit. It also has some Andrew's Cams. The 8 valve head also looked like it had been ported a bit. The bike has some sort of electronic ignition, a V&H 4 into 1 pipe, 29mm Smoothbores, and an aftermarket swingarm.

Anyone else have similar mods? What kind 1/4 mile times can I expect? I know alot is in the rider, but I am just looking for a ballpark number...

8O You are very lucky you know that?

Comment

can you do us a hugh favor and when you rebuild those carbs write down the exact settings and what kinda of internals are in them. i know Kieth Kraus is highly intrested in finding out the recipe that v and h used back in the day when they did a built up 1000 that sounds like yours. Yours could be the very same so it would rock to find out what was used.

-Ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
        Why's that?

Originally posted by first timer
        can you do us a hugh favor and when you rebuild those carbs write down the exact settings and what kinda of internals are in them. i know Kieth Kraus is highly intrested in finding out the recipe that v and h used back in the day when they did a built up 1000 that sounds like yours. Yours could be the very same so it would rock to find out what was used.

-Ryan

The pilots are 30's, and the mains are 120's....I know that. What other settings are you wanting to know...?

Comment

can you take alook at this

and see how your stuff matches to the stuff posted.

the 29's seem to be a big myster to a bunch of us. and the more info we can get on them and what they are paired with the better.

i am hoping to get a database set up that i can list all your mods to the bike then pair the carb settings that have worked for you in regaurds to the 29's.

let us know how the bike runs once you get the cob webs out of her.

i have a set of 29's as well that i will be working the bugs out of soon enough, the more info the better.

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by JxxxOxxxE
            Why's that?

-Ryan

The pilots are 30's, and the mains are 120's....I know that. What other settings are you wanting to know...?
            Do you know what size the cutouts are on the slides. It would be marked on top of the slide. Also do you know how far out the mixture screws are backed out on the carbs or can you check? I have a GS1000 also with vm29's and am trying to get them right. Currently I have 115 mains, #20 pilots, and 2.0 cutaway slides. It is running rich and we are trying different jets but the cutaways may be the key. Thanks for any info on this.

I was very lucky also, I got my bike free too. I have put a few $$$$ into though since getting it in condition. Sorry, I can't help you out with any 1/4 mile numbers. I know mine is plenty quick though.

Comment

Why's that?

-Ryan
              Because it would take a couple of grand to get your engine to this spec.

Comment

OMFG 8O 8O 8O 8O

that thing is going to be a rocket. Pack a chute to slow yourself down.

kudos on the killer deal

Comment

So might a good rider be able to take it to the 9's?

Comment

No way will it run 9's. High tens maybe. Worse case should at least run in the 11's.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco15
                      No way will it run 9's. High tens maybe. Worse case should at least run in the 11's.
                      well, hell...that sucks...my car will run 10's... :x

Comment

Would that be your car running a 10 sec 1/8th? :-) The bike will run a mid 10 quarter. If you have a 10 second, quarter mile car, I'm really curious to know what you drive, because a 500 hp turbo porsche wont break 10 sec's.

E.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                          Would that be your car running a 10 sec 1/8th? :-) The bike will run a mid 10 quarter. If you have a 10 second, quarter mile car, I'm really curious to know what you drive, because a 500 hp turbo porsche wont break 10 sec's.

E.

Nope....no lying here...The car is a 420 hp at the wheels 98' Z28 LS1. Its gone 11.4's @ 117 N/A. The bottle shot drops it to the 10 second range depending on the shot...Not that it matters, but here's a pic....

Anyway, back to the bike. It will be getting a fresh paint job next week, that combined with mid 10's, I wonder how much I could sell it for?

Mid 10's aren't too bad for a 26 year old bike though I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Rock
                            Why's that?

-Ryan

Do you know what size the cutouts are on the slides. It would be marked on top of the slide. Also do you know how far out the mixture screws are backed out on the carbs or can you check? I have a GS1000 also with vm29's and am trying to get them right. Currently I have 115 mains, #20 pilots, and 2.0 cutaway slides. It is running rich and we are trying different jets but the cutaways may be the key. Thanks for any info on this.

I was very lucky also, I got my bike free too. I have put a few $$$$ into though since getting it in condition. Sorry, I can't help you out with any 1/4 mile numbers. I know mine is plenty quick though.

The cutaways are 1.5's. I checked them tonight...As far as the air screws, they are all just set at 1 1/2 turns out. I set them at that after Keith recommended it....

Comment

Thank you very much for that bit of information.

Comment

Working...
                              X