Exhaust Cam for '83 GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Cam for '83 GS750?

I've got an '85 GS750ES and an '84 EF which I'm making one bike out of. The EF needs a new exhaust cam for sure and if I'm going to replace it I might as well upgrade? If there another GS cam that fits and works? I think I remember reading something about 1100 or 1150 Ex cams but I couldn't find it in the search.

Also, should an earlier TSCC 750 engine exhaust cam be the same as my '83/84? I have a spare engine for parts and the cams look good but I don't want to put a milder than stoc cam in.

Thanks, let me know if I need to supply more info.
    /\/\ac

As 1983 was a new design for the 750, I do not believe many pre '83 parts will work.

I believe that GS1100 cams will work but do not know which stock cams would be better than what you have already have.

If you are going to the trouble of replacing cams, you might be able to regrind/weld your existing cams. I have had two sets of stock '83 750 cams reground (undamaged cores) by Cam Motion in Baton Rouge, LA. Their G2 profile is a perfect drop-in designed to run with stock compression/springs and no headwork. It is .330@246. I used this profile in my 750 at one time with good results but now run the G15 which is .350@252. It should cost about $200 for the set with you suppling the stock cores. Send them your stock cam sprockets and they will slot them also. Good Luck, Ed.

1983 GS750ED
    2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

Ed,

Thanks for the reply! I missed it until just now. Instead of replacing the cams I'm replacing the engine.

The old engine had # 1&2 pistons fried and leaving aluminum on the bores, cam lobes and followers were going and several cam bearings were showing damage....and thats as far as I've gotten into it. At a later date I'll split the cases and check the mains for experience if nothing else...and its a possible rebuilder if I can hone out the bores and replace the pistons and head....if not...well at least now I've got a spare starter and clutch!

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
      X