Don't hate me- I am using Suzuk parts on a Kawi- have ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't hate me- I am using Suzuk parts on a Kawi- have ?s

I have a couple Z1 B 900 Kawasaki's- actually 4 now LOL- but two I am working on- and I have bought alot of Suzuk parts off wrecked bikes to upgrade these old classics (Don't worry fellas, I would NEVER tear up a restorable GS 1100 for parts, I would restore it LOL)

I have two GS 1100 E swing arms I bought off E-bay- and one Katana 17 inch rim to fit one of them, A ZX10 rim to fit the other. Anyone know how wide a tire I can get on this?

1100's swingarms can handle a 150 rear tire max. The stock tire size is 120 or 130 depending on the year. An 1150 swingarm might be able to take a little larger tire.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: Don't hate me- I am using Suzuk parts on a Kawi- have ?s

Originally posted by CruisingRam
      I have a couple Z1 B 900 Kawasaki's- actually 4 now LOL- but two I am working on- and I have bought alot of Suzuk parts off wrecked bikes to upgrade these old classics (Don't worry fellas, I would NEVER tear up a restorable GS 1100 for parts, I would restore it LOL)

I have two GS 1100 E swing arms I bought off E-bay- and one Katana 17 inch rim to fit one of them, A ZX10 rim to fit the other. Anyone know how wide a tire I can get on this?
      That's a very common modification for the Kawasaki Z. You can get more info over at www.kzrider.com. They are a great bunch of guys over there and are always willing to help.

I would love to have a KZ, a Z1, or an early GPz...great bikes, all of them. The Suzuki GS owes a lot to these bikes.

Hap

Comment

Every once in a while I start thinking about whether a ZRX swingarm and shocks could be made to fit my 1100e.....

Probably not enough head and too much ache.

Comment

Actually- several of the guys gave the link to this board over at www.kzrider.com on the several posts dealing with this subject!

Check out this thread:

gives the link to this site!

You guys have some sick bikes here man!

I have been told about a couple of guys have 180s on this swing arm, but no proof lately- so I want to make sure before I get a tire LOL

Comment

You may also find some info On the Old School Suzuki forum

Comment

I can only get a 150/ 70 / 17 in my rear Gs1150 any lager I have problem with chain clearance. alot of guys go for the aluminium GS1100 twin shock swinger and can go quite large 170...but you should think aboout the frnt end as well, 170 with a *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$y 110 in the front wont handle ver well, and dont mix radials with crossplys..it makes handling vey unique

Comment

I decided to stay with the gs1150 with my rear end swap...and went for a 92 Katana TEA POT 750 rear wheel...3.5 inch..the 4.5 would mean going to a gixer swinging arm, with is shorter and gives all other kinds of problems, such as SHock mount etc

Comment

Re: Don't hate me- I am using Suzuk parts on a Kawi- have ?s

Since I grabbed a set of master cylinders from a ZZR1200 for my Katana, I'll forgive you. It'll cost you a spare Z1 though. Sorry, but I don't make the rules

Comment

Originally posted by joe.d
                    I can only get a 150/ 70 / 17 in my rear Gs1150 any lager I have problem with chain clearance. alot of guys go for the aluminium GS1100 twin shock swinger and can go quite large 170...but you should think aboout the frnt end as well, 170 with a *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$y 110 in the front wont handle ver well, and dont mix radials with crossplys..it makes handling vey unique
                    I have a ZX6 front end going on it- with a matching rims front and back off a ZX10. The ZX 10 rim I have has an old 180 on it right now.

I think I will not have to give up a Z1 though- I am on the look out for a restorable GSX up here - so when one comes up, I will be joining the "in crowd" here LOL

I have had my "daily driver" V65 since 89, and I love that bike- but it is my "sport tourer" for me and the wife- my best riding buddy, moved "outside" about 10 years ago- had a GSX 1100 RR back then and we rod the tires off those bikes.

I usually only have one bike that is a solo rider though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                      1100's swingarms can handle a 150 rear tire max. The stock tire size is 120 or 130 depending on the year. An 1150 swingarm might be able to take a little larger tire.
                      :?

I am running a 180 tire in my stock swingarm, chain and brake anchor needed moving outwards though. From what I read 1150 arm is narrower...

Comment

robinjo - is your swing arm the same as a GS 1100 E? If it is- did you have to do any modification to get the 180 tire to fit? I am assuming you are running stock style rims? Or did you get a different rim than came on your bike?

No problem lining up the front sprocket- if I can't buy one (and there are alot of parts for Zs!) I can make one- I just want the 180 tire on the ZX10 rim to fit- I will line up the chain later LOL

FYI- the pivot point of the GS 1100 E is actually slightly narrower (by about a tad less than a 1/2 inch) and we use bushings between the swing arm and the frame pivot point.

It is one of the most common suspension upgrades on Z1s, and far, far cheaper than buying a new 800 dollar swing arm from one of the Kawi bike parts lines!

Comment

robinjo - is your swing arm the same as a GS 1100 E? If it is- did you have to do any modification to get the 180 tire to fit? I am assuming you are running stock style rims? Or did you get a different rim than came on your bike?

No problem lining up the front sprocket- if I can't buy one (and there are alot of parts for Zs!) I can make one- I just want the 180 tire on the ZX10 rim to fit- I will line up the chain later LOL

FYI- the pivot point of the GS 1100 E is actually slightly narrower (by about a tad less than a 1/2 inch) and we use bushings between the swing arm and the frame pivot point.

It is one of the most common suspension upgrades on Z1s, and far, far cheaper than buying a new 800 dollar swing arm from one of the Kawi bike parts lines!
                          Wheel conversion story is on my site.
                          I know of the Katana swingarm on Zeds, you know Nitromax from Holland with his 1200 CC Big Zed?

Comment

Well, I have two gs 1100 E swing arms, and one ZX 10 swing arm already converted to two shock set up. I think I will run the Katana rim with 160s on the chopper on the GS arm, and a 180 on the ZX swing arm with the ZX rim on the hot rod Z1 LOL

I only want to make around 100 hp on the Chopper, but closer to 140+ out of the street fighter hot rod bike- as much as I can reliably make on the street.

Though, after those two projects, looking at some of your sick bikes on this page, the next project will either be a 750 turbo kawi or 1100GS

Comment

I am using Kawa 900 28mm carbs in my modded 78 GS1000, so sounds fair you should use some Suzi bits. The Kawa carbs are less finnicky to set up as they do not have two screws in the pilot system. And they were heaps cheaper than smoothbores..cheapskae that I am

Comment

Working...
                              X