Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit Swingarm Question (Katman?)

Katman,

Things sure are slow without you building something!

Have a question on your bandit swingarm mod. You made up a bronze bushing to sleeve down the steel bushing in the bandit swingarm to accept the GS / Katana pivot bolt. I had one made also and while the fit (bushing to bushing) is nice and tight, the fit between the bronze bushing and the pivot bolt is a little loose which has me concerned. I had given the machinist the pivot bolt before fabrication and he thinks he's added the right tolerances however, I don't see any looseness between my GS bushing, bearings or pivot bolt. He says by the time I grease the bolt and torgue it down the swingarm won't be able to have any lateral movement. I'm checking both swingarms off the bike by just grabbing the bolt and trying to move the ends.

Did you ever consider just switching the GS pivot bearings for the bandit pivot bearings they have the same O.D. and then add 3 mm spacers / washers to get the width right? This might be an easier mod with fewer pieces to have tolerances stack up. I'm going to give it a try will let you know.

Another question has to do with the location of the shock mounts. I've taken the two swing arms and placed them side by side with the pivot bearings and bushings on both swingarms mounted to a long straight 16mm dia. shaft. This aligns them so I can transfer the shock mount locations from the GS to the bandit.

When I look at your photos, you have the shock mount hole just about over the top of the weld that attaches the swingarm end cap. When I look at mine it looks like the hole should be about 3/8" closer to the swingarm pivot. Did you decide to move the hole further away from the pivot for a reason? The bandit swingarm is much taller and by the time you add the shock mount there will be about a 1 1/4" increase in ride height. Did you move the hole location out to adjust height? Did you use a bushing (like the GS has) in your shock mount hole?

Hope your feeling well enough to start building / riding again. Thanks for what ever clarification you can provide to a novice.
Working...
X