What tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tires?

What is a good tire (s) to run on an 82 GS1100E . and is there any advantage to running a non stock rear tire (wider )

I am running Bridgestone BT-45's on my 1100E. Very happy with them, they stick well cold, work well in the wet, wear like iron. I have about 5000km on mine and the rear is not showing any wear yet. They are even pretty reasonably priced, to boot. Front is a 100/90 and the rear is a 140/80. The only problem with the wider rear is that it does not get scrubbed to the edge and leaves chicken strips. I have the front scrubbed to the edge and the rear shows about 3/8" of unused rubber. Other than that, they are great. I think the 130 would be a better match to the 100 front if you were concerned about the chicken strips...

Mark

Comment

Mark,

I'm running the same tire sizes on my 83 1100E, except they're Pirellies What air pressures are you using?

Thanks,
      Chris

Comment

I've been running 36F/36R for pressure, but the front was down to 34 once when I checked it and it did seem to affect stability a bit. Not a radical change, mind you, but it seems more planted with 36 in the front. I have not tried any other pressures at the moment.

Mark

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
            ..... wear like iron. I have about 5000km on mine and the rear is not showing any wear yet....Mark
            When I was much much younger I would buy my streetbike tires from Kmart. They had a pretty good selection back then and we did not have all these funny sizes like we do now. These things were some hard rubber that would never seem to wear out.

I too am using the Bridgestones. Mostly for lack of choice in the sizes I use.
            If I could have purchased something softer I would have. They are wearing like steel for me as well. I have made a few passes at the track with them and they stick fair for a street tire at 25 PSI with my fat butt on the bike.

Comment

Working...
            X