Rear shock absorbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shock absorbers

I'm about to purchase a pair of shock absorbers for my '82 GSX1100EZ from IKON Suspension,Australia;parts no. 7610-1394.I was asked to fax in my order by Fax Back Credit Card Order Form.
    How are their absorbers and how efficient is their shipping?

How are their absorbers and how efficient is their shipping?
    I have custom length Ikon's on my 1100E (+1" over stock). They work very well, firm and well controlled without being harsh.

Shipping and customer service were first rate. They got me a custom build done in a week and shipped to my door in about 10-12 days. I had no complaints whatsoever and would happily deal with them again.

Mark

Comment

Rear shock absorbers

Thanks,Mark.I now feel rest assured.Since I ride solo most of the time and weigh 195 lbs,do I need to customise the length of the absorbers?Incidently,I've just put in Progressive Suspension springs in front.

patrick

Comment

Since I ride solo most of the time and weigh 195 lbs,do I need to customise the length of the absorbers?Incidently,I've just put in Progressive Suspension springs in front.
        I ordered them longer to get some more cornering clearance and speed up the steering a bit. Also, I plan to add 17" wheels and a new front end eventually and I wanted the extra length to help with clearance there as well. They have 3 spring rates to choose from:

18-33N/mm (= 1.83-3.36kg/mm = 102-188lb/in)
        22-39N/mm (= 2.24-3.98kg/mm = 125-222lb/in)
        19-42N/mm (= 1.94-4.28kg/mm = 108-239lb/in)

I weigh 175lb and always ride solo. I chose the 22-39 springs because I wanted them to be on the firm side. In the end, they are a touch TOO firm for me, but not by much. Ikon set the spring perch to give 20mm of preload at the lowest setting (this is their standard setting) and that is really my problem. If I was to do it again, I would get them to set 15mm of initial preload and keep the same spring rate. That should be about perfect for my weight.

Since you are 20lb heavier, the 22-39 springs should be perfect with the standard preload. That assumes you want a firm ride, not a cushy one. If you want comfortable cruising more than back road strafing, go with the 18-33 springs and they should be really nice for you.

I also have Progressive Suspension springs in mine and they are shortened by about 4" to give a spring rate of 0.93kg/mm. I would really like about .98-1.0kg/mm, but it is not possible to get that in the space available. The stock PS rate is about 0.70kg/mm, which is a big jump from the pathetic OEM spring rate of 0.45kg/mm. I used 15wt oil and have not had a complaint yet about that weight. I can get the rebound damping adjusted to my satisfaction with the 15wt and it all seems to work well together. Oh, and there is no air pressure in my forks (beyond atmospheric, that is).

Mark

Comment

Rear shock absorbers

Yes,at times these things do happen when we purchase new products;more reason to refer to this site.The guys here seem to have gone thru and have answers to most of our problems.
          My progressives were installed without any preload using 10wt oil and no air pressure.However I get a slight 'clunk' sound after going over sudden bumps.What do you suggest?
          As I understand,for this particular model,GSX1100EZ we needn't put in a spacer when installing the progressives.Could a heavier wt oil improve the situation?
          Many thanks for your imput.

patrick

Comment

I just put the progressive springs in last weekend using 10wt oil and no air pressure. I kept all the existing parts in place. Existing parts being the top fork nut with the built in 4 position adjustment and the spacer/seal below it. I kept the spacer seal in place because without it the 4 position adjustment would not work having nothing to push against.

I ended up putting in about 226cc of oil in each fork using a graduated beaker. The spec is 246 but I figured the heavier springs would displaceabout 20cc and figured overfilling would be worse than being slightly under. I tried to measure 140 mm from the top of the fork like the instructions indicated but did not have consistant readings.

I was only able to take it on a relitively short jaunt locally and the only clink I heard was when my V&H super sport canaster hit the road and began to drag along the pavement because I forgot to tighten the rear support. :x

The front end is definately stiffer than stock but I need to ride at speed to really give it the full test.
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

My progressives were installed without any preload using 10wt oil and no air pressure.However I get a slight 'clunk' sound after going over sudden bumps.What do you suggest?
              Some preload..

Seriously, if you have no preload on your forks when they are fully extended it could cause that clunking noise. You should always run at least 10-15mm of preload on fork springs, just to avoid this sort of problem. And I have been told that springs work best with a bit of preload. I think that this is because the end travel is not very linear and preloading gets away from that area and into the linear rate portion of the spring travel, but no one has been able to confirm that for me.

The best way to go is to set your sag properly and if that takes preload, then so be it. Look for 20mm static sag (bike weight only, no rider) as measured from the forks fully extended and 35mm laden sag (bike + rider). If you cannot get both those numbers at the same time (which is likely), the laden sag is the more important of the two. Use whatever preload you need to achieve that.

On the rear, you want to try for 10mm static sag and 25mm laden sag. Again, the laden number is the more important of the two.

Mark

Comment

Rear shock absorbers

Thanks Mark your advice has been invaluable.I'll be adjusting my front end preload this week.Looks like many of us have been upgrading both front and rear suspensions on our 20+yrs bikes!But I must say the progressives make a big difference in ride comfort.

patrick

Comment

But I must say the progressives make a big difference in ride comfort.
                  That is one of the myths surrounding suspension - that a performance suspension will be harsh and uncomfortable. Not true at all. When set up properly, a good suspension will be both firm and plush and should have very nicely controlled damping. Try riding a current sportbike with Race Tech or Traxxion Dynamics suspension installed and you will be astounded at how well the suspension works everywhere. It sucks up the little hits completely, absorbs the big hits without a bobble or wheel coming off the ground and feels super smooth and controlled all the time...

Mark

Comment

Rear shock absorbers

Well,just completed upgrading of both front and rear suspension and must say money was well spent;handling is now so much better
                    Next on the cards is repainting.Anyone done a 2 tone job?Most GSX1100's are in red and silver.

Comment

The Ikon factory is about 200 miles north of here, the owners were the Aussie importer of Koni's, before Koni stopped building bike shocks, so the Ikons are made under an arrangement between both companies.

Good thing is that Ikon can supply rebuild kits for the 76P series Koni's, so if you're lucky enough to find a set of these shocks, you can still buy rebuild kits from Ikon. I've got Koni's on both my Suzuki GS1000S's, and they're great shocks, even though the later adjustable damping OEM shocks were very good, I've got a pair on my GS750, and they feel almost as good as the Koni's.

I've never noticed a problem with my standard front forks though, I bought an S&W air fork kit with equaliser and handlebar mounted gauge because I like the multi adjustability of air caps, but so far with no air and stock springs in my 1981 "daily rider" (in avatar pic) with just new seals and 15W oil, running Bridgestone BT45R tires it feels great. I've got a pair of progressive springs in a box somewhere, I might fit them in my 1979 "S" for a direct comparison! Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Rear shock absorbers

Hi!Terry,thanks for the imput.
                        You guys in the states and down under are pretty fortunate being able to furnish parts more easily than others elsewhere in the world.My progressives came from US and my shocks,Ikons,from Australia.All this while I've been getting my replacement parts thru our local Suzuki agent however since joining this website,I've more options.
                        We don't have that many big bikes from the late 70's and early 80's in Malaysia.In fact I was told that my '82 GSX1100EZ is one of a pair that came in a container! So far I'm the 5th and longest owner,having bought the bike in '96.Pretty much replaced most of the moving parts on the bike during that period.A lot of people are amazed when they hear that the bike is already 20+ years.Somehow the Gs's maintain their appeal.
                        Cheers!

patrick

Comment

Suspension redo info

I will be redoing the suspension on both of my 81 11EXs this winter. I have already purchased NOS inner fork tubes and all of the rubber parts to replace the 25 year old stuff on both bikes. Bearings and other incidentals also. The fork springs and rear suspenders I have been holding out on until I can get a better understanding of what is out there and what works and what doesn't. My current options as I see it are the Progressive fork springs, Progressive 412 rear shocks, Works rear shocks (Steel), Ikon rear shocks(type?).
                          Are there any other brands out there that I should look at? Also specific model numbers/names of parts/web addresses would be appreciated. I weigh in at 220 and spilt my ridding between heavily laden touring and tearing around just about evenly. Any feedback on what works or doesn't would be helpful. Thanks

Comment

rear shock absorbers

In my opinion,I find Ikon rear absorbers ideal,a bit more expensive BUT they can be repaired and that, in the long run is more cost effective.You can also choose from a range of springs depending upon your preferances.Springs can also be custom made too!
                            As for the front end,I was told by their customer service personal that they also manufacture progressives for the forks too.As for quality and service,they're tops.No regrets.
                            If you're following this thread,refer to Mark's post dated Aug 12,2005 . We'd sure like to hear some more feedback from pano after he's riden his bike at speed so as to give his progressives the full test!

Comment

I am still running the original Euro spec forks on my GS1000. They are sagged a bit, but with the right air pressure and fork oil still work fine. Fornales rear shocks make a big difference as well, have had those since 1984 or so. In fact I just got one for the ST1100, so I will have to keep it a long time as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X