Is it really worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it really worth it?

I'm looking at adding more power to my gs 550. was wondering if it was really worth haveing the engine bore out 30 over or should i go higher. Would camming it do anything for it. Or am i just better off buying a bigger bike. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the type of results i would get or if it wouldn't really effect the results of the bike.

Yeap I'd go for a used GSXR 600, they will haul butt.

Or try a 14 tooth sprocket. Going 30 over ain't going to cut it. You need to go big bore, but don't know if there's much out there for the 550.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

i have been putting a serious thought into a 14 tooth. will that make abig difference. will i lose considerable top end and milage

Comment

You want speed, you want 1600cc or bigger. Maybe adding two more 550 engines would help.

I would leave it alone unless it needs to be rebuilt anyway. Why spend money to mod a old 550?

Comment

gas mileage or acceleration . Keep the 500 stock--when you start messing with mods you will need a stocker while you sort out problems in your souped up engine.

Comment

Back in the old days my 550 was clock at 115 mph by the Phoenix police with passenger too.

And then there was a road block one time just before Xmas 1981 by the Maricopa County Sheriffs, for some reason they wanted me to stop. They always go after the lead bike... I wonder why :?

Comment

Back in the old days my 550 was clock at 115 mph by the Phoenix police with passenger too.
              LMFAO!!!

I had a GS550L in the late 70's early 80's. Used to drive it to work. One day I was taking my normal drive in and there was this construction zone. So I slow down to 40. I get out of the zone and start to open it up and notice there is a car beside me. Police. Lights are all on and he is make a lot of hand motions. About the time I notice all of this, he runs me off the road. Really. I am in the dirt to avoid hitting the nose of his car. He jumps out of the car yelling, calling me "are you some kind of *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$" blah blah blah. "Do you think I have a six cylinder in this car?" blah blah blah and "it took me X miles to catch you". After he calms down a bit and I explain that I did not see him and that I was just driving to work, then he becomes civil. He clocked me over 120. I got a ticket for 110+ in a 55 zone. Was real lucky I slowed down in the construction zone.

I then have to go to court (couldn't just pay the fine for that one). The judge asks why I was going so fast. I explain it was a nice day, the roads were clear and I was heading to work. He asks how much time I figured I would save. I told him 15 minutes. He said no way. I am thinking double the speed, cut the time in half. I knew I was in trouble because the judge could not follow basic math.

Then my dad gets the phone call from my insurance company. ......

I kept the ticket. Should have framed it.

So, I agree with you 100%. My old GS550L would go over 100, given enough road, laying down on the tank and no wind. Yours must have had more power to do it with a rider.

Comment

Going to Luke AFB was a road called Glendale. We called it the Glendale 500.

I don't think my friend weigh more than 90 lbs with shorts and a tube topp.

During that road block thing the officers were around the corner at a Circle K, they never saw me, only heard my exhaust and the chase was on. They radio ahead for a road block cause there was no way they were going to catch up. By the time I got to the south gate of Luke I was already doing over 100 and stay on the gas for a few more mile's. They wrote me up for drag racing and doing 90+. They took my butt back to Base and left my bike there on the corner and said if I come back for my bike that day I'd be taking to jail. So the next day I go get the 550 and went to pay the fine, get this only 35 bucks

Learn my lesson so I built a 302 Pinto with a tunnel ram, 2 holley 600, 4.63 gears, etc, etc. A bunch of us went down to Central ave and was told if they see me make one more round I was going to be inpounded. I was'nt even racing anybody just riding around on a Sat night doing the speed limit. So we head on over to Tempe with a few case's of beer but that's another story 8)

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy
                  You want speed, you want 1600cc or bigger. Maybe adding two more 550 engines would help.

I would leave it alone unless it needs to be rebuilt anyway. Why spend money to mod a old 550?
                  Bullsh*t. The 550 is a hell of a bike. There's a lot more to life than just straight-line acceleration, and there's a lot he can do to add some power too.

If he likes the bike, there's no better reason to spend money to mod it. Although Scotty is right, get something stock so you can have an old reliable if you're gonna go crazy.

Comment

How about going with the 650 kat head ,I know that can be done.
                    And maybe even the barrels to take it out to 673cc, not shure about that one though.
                    You could put the complete 650E motor in,but then you give up the 6th gear.
                    It would not be to hard as the 650 was an evolution of the 550!

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake
                      Going to Luke AFB

When I bought my 83 GS1100E, I got the very first title for it. The first owner was stationed at Luke AFB in 1983.
                      8) 8) 8) 8)
                      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                      2000 Kawasaki Concours
                      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
                        Bullsh*t. The 550 is a hell of a bike. There's a lot more to life than just straight-line acceleration
                        There is????? 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Comment

I like turning fast a hell of a lot more than going fast in a straight line.

Comment

I like turning fast a hell of a lot more than going fast in a straight line.
                            So, between going fast in the corners and in the straights, we have everything life has to offer covered.

You know we do have to turn those bikes around for the tow back??

Comment

There has been a few times that I was'nt going straight at the strip and almost *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ my pants 8O I like the corners you can see, not the ones at the 330 mark

Comment

Working...
                              X