GSXR vs Katana wheels. Any difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR vs Katana wheels. Any difference?

I'm looking to upgrade my '82 1100E with 17" wheels. Is there any difference between GSXR rims and Katanas? I'll be using a '90-'95 GSXR front end with my wheel swap so I need to know if the brakes would line up with Katana rotors if I use a set of Katana wheels.

The Katana rims are narrower. I believe that front will be a 3.0", not a 3.5" like the GSXR. I would expect the rotors would line up, as Suzuki are pretty good about keeping that stuff interchangeable. The only way to know for sure is measure some up, though.

Mark

Comment

The Katana rear rims are 3.5 wide, and Gsxr rims start @ 4 inches and go up to 6" wide, a four inch Gixer rim will fit in a GSX with shocks but the mono shock models its kinda Tight, also another thing to consider is Katana's run 530 chains five stud rear sprocket, the the early Gixers run stud 630 the same set up as the GSX, just a few pointers

On my efe I run a Katana rear wheel and did the 530 conversion,and allso had to change the wheel bearings from the Katana 16mm to the EFE 20mm
      The good thing about that is I could use my efe brake caliper mount and caliper,
      The GSXR wheel uses a smaller rear brake disc, so there would have be some farication

Comment

Watch the axle diameters

Axle diameters are different between the two models, the GSXR axle diameters are bigger for both the front and rear rims. Also as mentioned previously, the GSXR rim widths are wider. The front is a 3.5 inch where the GSX front rim is 3.0 inch. GSX rear rims are 3.5 inches wide but I believe you can utilize the rear rim from the newer GS500s?, those are 4.5 inches wide and use the smaller axle diameters (17mm v. 20mm). That is what I have and I think it came off a GS500. Anyway, it's a 4.5 inch asymetric three spoke rim with a 17mm diameter axle.

Comment

Bearing sizes aren't a problem on the rear. If the axle diameter is wrong just use the GS bearings. The outer diameter of the bearings is the same between GS and GSXR.

Comment

1998 and newer Katana 750/600 wheels are 3.5x17 front and 4.5x17 rear.

Pre-1998 are 3.0x17 front and 3.5x17 rear.

Comment

rear wheels

I have an 82 and 83 kat, I have put on 92 gsxr 750 rear wheels, 160/60 18
              U need to get a bandit rear brake caliper top mounted, and the rear wheel will go straight in, may have to change chain and sprockets if there 530's
              and you will have to modify your brake arm just a bit to fit the tire, a hammer works really good.

Comment

the newer kat wheels won't work. the O.D. of the bearings are smaller than the gsxr or gs. I just sold a pair of strait spokes that couldn't be fitted.

gsxr's are the only way to go...bolt on fun.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Working...
                X