Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping Air Boxes between an E and a G

Hi All,

I have a 82 GS650G and I would like to swap the air box with one from an E model if its possible. Has anyone tried this? I can get a K&N filter for an E model but not a G. I'm tired of washing foam filters, not to mention I could really use some more air. (I live at 8400 ft)

Thank You

take the air filter out and make an adapter out of sheet metal sually nothing from an E will Fit a G..I rerally dont know that for sure.

Comment

Thanks Scotty. I guess I might be able to fabricate something to go in place of the air filter. I would have to wrap it with gauze and oil it because I live on a dirt road. Might be able to use the plastic cage the foam air filter goes on. Then get some synthetic screen to go over that and then some kind of gauze like the K&N's use. Probably have to wait till winter though. Thanks.

Comment

Aren't the carbs the same size on the G as the E?
        Just pull the airbox out of the bike and install K&N's
        right to the carbs. Just rejet the carbs and enjoy the added
        umph! Those airboxes just robbed the bikes of power anyway.

Comment

Another consideration since i was so quick to tell you to make an air box.
          Air boxes are critical to smooth operation of the engine. If all you want is an air filter then fabricating may be ok but in all probability, the carbs will not e correct and the K&N route may be the best bet. BUT BUT the cost of K&Ns and re jetting may be a lot more than looking for an air box on ebay or in a bone yard. Maybe bike bandit and others.

Comment

AAllssoo, unless you have a lot of time and wrenching patience, pods are going to be a headache.
            option two, buy bulk emgo filter foam and wrap your own filters, pitch them when they get dirty.
            You also have to wash K&N filters.
            And I also noticed that it seems as soon as you modify the intake and exhaust your economy goes down.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone
              AAllssoo, unless you have a lot of time and wrenching patience, pods are going to be a headache.
              option two, buy bulk emgo filter foam and wrap your own filters, pitch them when they get dirty.
              You also have to wash K&N filters.
              And I also noticed that it seems as soon as you modify the intake and exhaust your economy goes down.
              I had the opposite experience in the area of economt but i must admit that i geared 1 tooth up on the countershaft at the same time.

Comment

Yeah I know these engines like their airboxes. That's why I was thinking I might be able to get away with using one from an E. The one on the G is such a pain to get the filter back in and I really don't like cleaning foam air filters. I know you still have to clean K&N's, but not as often. I would have been nice to kill two birds with one stone.

I thought about pods but I just spent a lot of time getting it to run decent with this setup so I don't want to start over from scratch.

Thanks for the ideas. Unless I score an E air box real cheap and give it a try, I'll proably just live with what I have.

Comment

If someone thinks that an E airbox will work. Ill send you one for the shipping cost.

Or i could sell you this for $5000.00

Comment

Woa! That's one mean looking Moma. I'm developing a rash just looking. 8O

Thanks for the offer. Looks like I'm back where I started, except now I know where I can get a box. But, has anyone tried swapping them before, or have an educated guess if it might work?

Comment

Originally posted by typ0
                      Woa! That's one mean looking Moma. I'm developing a rash just looking. 8O

Thanks for the offer. Looks like I'm back where I started, except now I know where I can get a box. But, has anyone tried swapping them before, or have an educated guess if it might work?
                      It is the K&N that was on my Suzuki Samurai. I just laid it there for fun.
                      I did however get a stock replacement K&N,then after removing the air filter box only, I made a small tube out of tin and mounted the K&N to the tube with marine silicone.
                      I also reamed out some of the restrictive rubber/foam from the filter. That rube Goldberg was hung in place of the air filter box with plastic ties.
                      I had to shim the mid range needles to richen the mixture a tad. I already had open pro stock exhaust on the bike though. I don't believe in pods or any other mods without exhaust work first

Comment

Working...
                      X