Kerker header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kerker header

I was told by the tech at the dealer that you should not run without the fibreglass packing in the Kerker header. He said that it drops the midrange performance. Any experience or comments here?

This worked better than glass for me:

Comment

Re: Kerker header

Originally posted by mixongw
      I was told by the tech at the dealer that you should not run without the fibreglass packing in the Kerker header. He said that it drops the midrange performance. Any experience or comments here?
      Any other comments on this?

Comment

Any other comments on this?
        I can't say if it will hurt midrange or not, but my bet is not. Generally more volume in the exhaust is good for power everywhere, but it WILL affect your jetting. The bike will run leaner without the packing than with and this needs to be considered when jetting.

Mark

Comment

well, i've never seen a kerker muffler before, but if its anything like all the other mufflers i've seen, i'd say no. The backpressure of the exhaust is determined by the hole in the tip, and that hole is the same diameter whether there is fiberglass in there or not. On a related note, i also used steel wool

Comment

I wouldn't think the packing being missing would matter too much but it could I guess? It will change the flow a little bit but this is normal with any glass packed muffler. I rejetted my bike after I repacked the can with the steel wool. It worked great, quieted it down a little bit and hasn't given me an issue since. It is holding up way better than the glass packs have in the past. I don't think I'll ever use the glass again.

You should not have to rejet but it is possible that you may. It depends on how close things were before the glass blew all out and how much more air the pipe is flowing with it out.

Comment

backpressure of the exhaust is determined by the hole in the tip, and that hole is the same diameter whether there is fiberglass in there or not.
              Not true. Packing has an effect on the flow characteristics of the pipe. With packing has more flow resistance than without.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
                backpressure of the exhaust is determined by the hole in the tip, and that hole is the same diameter whether there is fiberglass in there or not.
                Not true. Packing has an effect on the flow characteristics of the pipe. With packing has more flow resistance than without.

Mark
                I agree, Mark. The packing would restrict flow through the perferated inner tube.

Comment

Working...
                X