X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 cylinder block Vs 1150 cylinder block

Hi Fellows,

May I have few questions here.

1/ could it just boring a GS1150 block up to 1260cc (78mm)? or it also have to re-sleeve the GS1150 block for better thickness of the sleeve wall for 1260cc?

2/ If both 1100 and 1150 block also have to re-sleeve for 1260cc, dose the 1150 block is stronger than the 1100 block? Or they are just same?

Looking forward for kindly advice.

My understanding is that the largest you can go on 1100 is 1166. On 1150 you can go to 1260 max. You need to re-sleeve 1100 block for the 1260 kit.

Comment

Max size for the 1100 stock block is 1260.Max size for the 1150 stock block is 1260. You need to resleeve both blocks to go to max size. The way I understand it is that the blocks are swapable.(Just found that MTC makes a 1260 kit for the 1150,still needs sleeving and case work.)

Comment

Thanks for the inputs.
        So, dose the 1150 blcok better than the 1100 block for re-sleeve to 1260?

Comment

Originally posted by rosco15
          My understanding is that the largest you can go on 1100 is 1166. On 1150 you can go to 1260 max. You need to re-sleeve 1100 block for the 1260 kit.
          Yes 1166 is 3mm over and service limit per factory manual. im doing 1266 or so to my gs1100e and block needs re sleeving and cases fit to new sleeves

Comment

Allow me to clear this up

1100 block..The largest bore in with the stock sleeves is 1168cc. Largest with oversize (3.275" dia) sleeves is 1260 (1258cc).

1150 block.. Largest bore in with stock sleeves is 1230cc. Largest with oversize sleeves (3.275" dia) is 1260cc (1258cc) However, years ago before big blocks, people were putting 1327cc pistons in the 1150 block using 3.300" dia sleeves. These sleeves have not been available for years.

Jay
            Speed Merchant
            http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Hi Big Jay,

Thanks for your kindly information.
              just one more Q, dose it mean 1150 block is thicker and stronger than the 1100 block?

Comment

Originally posted by Addy Leung
                Hi Big Jay,

Thanks for your kindly information.
                just one more Q, dose it mean 1150 block is thicker and stronger than the 1100 block?
                Yes, however is lacks the 6mm threaded holes on the ends like the 1100 has.

Jay
                Speed Merchant

Comment

Jay, will the 1100 block fit on an 1150? I thinking about rebuilding my bike this winter with new rings. Just thinking that If I used a 1100 block I could have new bores to match my new stock (74mm) rings. Are there any differences between the early 1100 blocks if this will work? Aslo would there be any advantage in gas porting my pistons while I have it apart? It will be basically a stock street bike that get some track time on the weekends. Would gas porting cause extra wear on my rings? TIA Mike Johnson

Comment

No problem putting the 1100 block on an 1150. As for gas porting, this is not normally done unless there is very high cylinder pressure that is getting past the rings.

Also, gas ported pistons can pull oil up past the top ring when the motor sees a lot on deceleration against the motor. It is really only a WOT drag race thing.

Jay
                    Speed Merchant

Comment

JAY what about putting my sleeves from a big block in a stock cylinder 1150. 1394 cc will go 1428 i know it can be done but what bad things will happen ?????

Comment

If your block is a 1395 now, it has 3.450 sleeves in it. That woon't go in a stock 1150 block. 3.300 is max.

As for the "bad things", you would bore thru and be able to see the sleeves through the fins. Besides the bores not staying round because of lack of support, crankcase pressure would only have to push the oil up about 1", then it is out and all over your bike.

Jay
                        Speed Merchant

Comment

Jay can you tell me if Suzuki used forged pistons in a 83 GS 1100 iv been told this is the case but i know you would know . if they were would they hold up to a little boost like 30lbs ?

Comment

i know of an 1150 that used to race for money that had 1464 kit in an 1150 stock block re-sleeved, not sure how they did it but it was a very reputable engine builder that put it together..richie

Comment

Originally posted by LarryT
                              Jay can you tell me if Suzuki used forged pistons in a 83 GS 1100 iv been told this is the case but i know you would know . if they were would they hold up to a little boost like 30lbs ?
                              I believe the 1100s were cast and the 1150s were forged.

Jay
                              Speed Merchant

Comment

Working...
                              X