CBX Progressive replacement shocks on an 81 GS1100EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CBX Progressive replacement shocks on an 81 GS1100EX

Hi all, I just want to get some feedback on an idea that's been kicking around in my head. I want to replace the OEM shocks of an 81 GS1100 with a set Progressive CBX replacement shocks. Why? To gain a little more ground clearance and maybe add some more load carrying capacity.

Right out of the box I felt that my GS sat a little low with just me on it. Forget it with a fairing, bags and a passenger. Soon after I bought it I went to S&W airs to increase ground clearance and load carrying capability. The airs are now almost 25 years old, I took them off in the spring. Although they don't leak at all, I am uncomfortable riding on a 25 year old air bladder. FYI if you replace the OEM pipes with a V&H unit and the S&Ws, the load carrying capacity of an GS11 is almost 550 lbs. Both the CBX and the GS use a clevis to attach the shock to the swingarm. The length of the CBX version is 14.25" while the GS version is 13.00". I estimate that with the angle of the shock vs swingarm I should get at least an addition .5" or more of clearance. I would probably opt for the HD springs. Naturally the fork springs will also be replaced.

I am open to any comments on why this may or may not be a good idea.

I say good idea. I have +1" longer Ikon's on my 1100E and it was a great improvement. Steers faster, feels lighter and I have not touched anything down all summer. And yes, the tires are scrubbed to the edges.

Both the CBX and the GS use a clevis to attach the shock to the swingarm. The length of the CBX version is 14.25" while the GS version is 13.00".
    Make sure the Honda clevis will fit over the GS boss. I asked Ikon about using CB900 spec shocks (same dimensions as your CBX ones) and they said the Honda clevis was narrower and would not fit.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
      I say good idea. I have +1" longer Ikon's on my 1100E and it was a great improvement. Steers faster, feels lighter and I have not touched anything down all summer. And yes, the tires are scrubbed to the edges.

Both the CBX and the GS use a clevis to attach the shock to the swingarm. The length of the CBX version is 14.25" while the GS version is 13.00".
      Make sure the Honda clevis will fit over the GS boss. I asked Ikon about using CB900 spec shocks (same dimensions as your CBX ones) and they said the Honda clevis was narrower and would not fit.

Mark
      I was afraid of that Mark, it looks like the only way I'm going to get additional ground clearance is to get them made up special. Did Ikon have to make you a custom pair? I know that Works will make the shocks per customer spec but that is big $$.
      BTW my brother in law thinks I am crazy to get longer shocks. He is arguing that the Progressive 12 series with HD springs will sit the bike higher than the standard OEMs. Any thought on this?

Comment

I was afraid of that Mark, it looks like the only way I'm going to get additional ground clearance is to get them made up special. Did Ikon have to make you a custom pair? I know that Works will make the shocks per customer spec but that is big $$.
        Yes, Ikon did a custom build for me. They charged an extra $50 (or so, going from memory) to do it. They were built in a week and I had them in less than 3 weeks from the order. Customer service was excellent.

BTW my brother in law thinks I am crazy to get longer shocks. He is arguing that the Progressive 12 series with HD springs will sit the bike higher than the standard OEMs. Any thought on this?
        He is right, it will sit higher. So what? I am running very firm springs with the +1" length and it is fine. Is he concerned about stability? I have no issues there. It does handle like it lost about 40lbs, though. Much lighter and more responsive than before. Keep in mind the GS had very conservative geometry and raising the back end an inch still doesn't bring it into a twitchy area. One thing to note here, my bike is now TALL. I have a 32" inseam and I am on tiptoes with this thing. I have to get off and stand beside it if I need to back up up a slope of any sort. The seat height is now comparable to late model sport bikes, which are pretty high. Not a problem for me, but if this bothers you it is a bad choice.

Mark

Comment

[quote="mark m"]
          He is right, it will sit higher. So what? I am running very firm springs with the +1" length and it is fine. Is he concerned about stability? I have no issues there. It does handle like it lost about 40lbs, though. Much lighter and more responsive than before. Keep in mind the GS had very conservative geometry and raising the back end an inch still doesn't bring it into a twitchy area. One thing to note here, my bike is now TALL. I have a 32" inseam and I am on tiptoes with this thing. I have to get off and stand beside it if I need to back up up a slope of any sort. The seat height is now comparable to late model sport bikes, which are pretty high. Not a problem for me, but if this bothers you it is a bad choice.

Mark
          He thinks it will make the bike less stable at speed. He rides a Kaw Vulcan 1500 with an extended front end. Legs out front cruising. That's his style of riding. It is his view that with the HD springs with the Progresssive series 412 GS11 shocks the bike will sit high enough to have reduced or eliminated undercarriage dragging. I don't see it myself. The spring is going to preload down to about the normal height, maybe a little higher. It would do the same for the CBX shock, but the body on that shock is 1.25' longer to start.

I agree with you on having the tail end higher. It makes the bike feel much more sporting. My normal air settup had me pretty much in the same situation as you describe above, toes only touching at a stop and park facing out so you don't have to walk the bike back out of a space. I would normally at a stop have the clutch side foot firmly planted, and the brake side on the brake. Now I have both heels down flat at rest. I have asked another GSResources member to take mesurements of the CBX equivalent shocks to determine if I can get away with the standard Progressive CBX versions and not have to pay extra for the custom jobs.

The clevis width has to be 7/8", and the top and bottom connectors are 10mm.

mark m, I appreciate your feedback, thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X