Carb Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Swap

I have an 83 GS1100E, K&N pods, 4 x 1 header, R1 can, yadayadayada. I've never been truly happy with the performance of the stock carbs. I've been snipping E-Bay to pick up a spare rack to rebuild and swap out my existing ones. The price has always gone out of site every time I think I've won a set. For the hell of it I bid on a set of BDST36SS CV Mikunis off of a 94 RF900 not thinking I'd get them. I did, $31.00 + shipping.

So now what. Thanks to Flo and RacingJake I got pointed in the right direction. I installed new main jets, 142.5, and jet nozzle O-Rings that were crapped out. Carbs were pretty clean, but I cleaned the pilot circuit and basacilly gave them a good cleaning without a total rebuild. I had to play with the float levels, on and off the bike 4 times, she liked 6mm's. I want a piece of the engineer that disigned the throttle cable attach to the carb rack, bahstad. Balanced them and played with the air mix screws. She seemed pretty happy. Put the tank and seat on, put on my helmet, and let's see how these work.

My God what a difference. No more rough idle, no more low end baulk, no more having to get on the mains to get ought of the way. It screams, pulls steady, the response to your wrist is instantanious. Only thing missing is the big WAHH! from the old carbs sucking air. All you hear is the exhaust note.

So if your looking to move up 12 or so years on your carbs, this worked out great. These are on the RF900, they're 36mm, they're also on the GSXR 600 & 1100. They popped right into my new intake boots, and I did'nt have to tip them. I highly recomend the swap, but what do I know.

Sweet.....I'm looking for a set of 36's as well. I just put an 1150 head on my old street rod and want to upgrade to a better set of carbs.

Comment

I agree!! I'm running 86 gsxr, 34's on my 82 750E. A world of difference compared to the stock carbs. Not to mention how much lighter these carbs are, ill bet there's alot less strain on your boots and intakes running pods. Glad the carbs worked out for you! I have a set of 90 gsxr 36's missing 2 floats ill let go for forty bucks plus shipping.

82 750E slingshots,pods,4into1, 91 katana front end & rear swingarm swap this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by sisu1970
        I agree!! I'm running 86 gsxr, 34's on my 82 750E. A world of difference compared to the stock carbs. Not to mention how much lighter these carbs are, ill bet there's alot less strain on your boots and intakes running pods. Glad the carbs worked out for you! I have a set of 90 gsxr 36's missing 2 floats ill let go for forty bucks plus shipping.

82 750E slingshots,pods,4into1, 91 katana front end & rear swingarm swap this winter.
        Where do I need to send the money?

Comment

These just showed up on e-bay tonight. 10/20/05.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by stiksave
            These just showed up on e-bay tonight. 10/20/05.
            I like how he includes the retail price for a set of new carbs. For $1577 you could get two sets of RS flatslides with Yoshimura throttles that have kill switches, headlight switches, and starter buttons. Still a nice buy for anyone looking to swap carbs.

Comment

The Bandit 1200 also has 36mm CV carbs. You will probably pay a little more but they are newer and easily jetted. They work real well on the 1157cc bandit motor, some guys are getting 150bhp out of a modified Bandit motor using these carbs. Spacing is the same on the air/oil cooled GSXR and 16v GS bikes.

Comment

Can these be used on a 78 GS1000?
                "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1
                  Can these be used on a 78 GS1000?
                  Nope, your intakes are too small to work with these carbs.

Comment

34mm?

Comment

The '78 1000 came with VM26 carbs. No way to use CVs short of fitting a newer head.

Comment

OK. I understand. The 16 valve head takes the bigger bore carbs. I don't have any expierience with these besides my 83 1100. I'm surprised I haven't seen much talk about the cv swap before this. I had no idea what I was buying and what the results would be. So it's still kudos to GSR and it's members for their knowledge.

Thanks,
                        Chris

Comment

The 34mm CV GSXR flatslides were a common swap for 16v GS750's back in the mid 80's. I have a set from a 1986 GSXR1100 on my '83 model, they worked real well after being jetted with pods. I had them on my 747cc 10.25-1 motor and 802cc 11.25-1 motor, both with aftermarket cams. Worked much better than the stock GS units in all different motor configurations.

Spacing is the same on all Bandit, early air/oil cooled GSXR, and 16v GS750/1100.

Ride On, Ed.
                          1983 GS750ED
                          2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

1200Bandit work great too

@sticksave: glad to be able to help you :-)

@ all: the BAndit 1200 carbs work equally well. Have a set of them on a 1150 engine. But it was more work to jet them as they allready seem to be much leaner/more emission than the GSXRs. But I am in Europe, that might be very different with US-modells.

Regards
                            Flo

Comment

stiksave,
                              did you have any problems finding car kits or parts for the carbs?

--Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X