suspension ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suspension ?s

sup guys, i'm new to the site. i have a 79 gs 1000 that i amwanting to put a 190 or maybe a 200 back tire on.now can someone please tell me what bike i need to get everything off of to do this swap. any info will be appritiade greatly.

so noone wants to help the new guy

Comment

so noone wants to help the new guy
      It's not that no one wants to help, but this question has been asked dozens of times (maybe hundreds). Do some searching and you will find a ton of posts on swapping to 17" wheels and fat tires. The widest tire that will fit into a stock 16 valve 1100 swing arm is a 180 and that is very close, a 160 is much easier and is more balanced. Your 1000 has a significantly narrower swing arm than the 1100's and will likely not even take a 160 without mods. Look up Katman's thread "building an I.C.B.M Katana" in the Performance forum and he details what he did to get a 180 into his Kat. Just as a note, the 190 or 200 will very noticeably affect handling. A 120 front / 180 rear combo is not bad and a 120/160 combo is even better for nice neutral handling and offers more traction than any GS needs for street riding.

Just a note to all the members who keep asking "what exact parts do I need to completely convert my bike to ..., etc." - there are NO exact swaps. EVERY swap will require some custom tinkering or fabrication or other shop work. If you are not prepared to go there, either because of money or skills or shop facilites, don't screw with your bike. Clean it up, change worn parts, put new suspension components in (that is, new shocks, fork springs, fork bushings, etc.) and RIDE IT. Suzuki did a nice job with the GS series and they are really quite competent at most things if maintained properly. If you really want new bike performance with no effort, go buy one. It is more cost effective, simpler and you get a new bike out of it.

I am not saying don't mod your bike. Mine is not stock at all. But be prepared to do the work and spend some time because you will be off in uncharted areas for at least some of the work.

There, I feel much better now.

Mark

Comment

It takes a mix of parts to get the job done. On my 700 I had to replace Gixxer bearings with my stock bearing sizes to utilize the GS axle, I used a mix of Kat 600 spacers, caliper hangers, etc... GSXR brake system, fork, etc... I was lucky enough to know an ex Yoshimura AMA champ so he had lots of stuff lying around that I could sift through. You also have to remember the GS frame probably can't handle all the grip anyway.

I took a minor spill a couple of weeks ago that did very little damage, but I know what caused the spill and now it's time for a major build up to correct the problem. Instead of trying to locate a direct replacement shock for my stock swingarm I'll be using GSXR based stuff and some frame bracing. That along with some major engine mods will be the last incarnation of my bike. I have a '95 inverted fork I'll be grafting on as well.

Comment

thanx 4 the info,i have looked but it gets confusing at times. and i'm not affraid to do the work, and i don't care much for the new bikes. besides the gs is a differnt bike and i like them.

Comment

Working...
          X