Great big end crank deal on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great big end crank deal on ebay

Picked up a crank on ebay. Supposed to be "IN GREAT SHAPE. THIS CRANK MAY NOT HAVE EVER BEEN IN A BIKE." $67 for a big end crank. I'm thinking sweet deal. Good crank to keep for a builder or sell and make a couple bucks.

I got it and opened it up to take a look. I put a starter gear I have on it and realized the threads on the end of the crank were bent and appear slightly damaged. I then dropped the crank in one of my cases and found the whole crank is actually twisted. I took a video. I posted it on putfile.com.

There are some good deals and then there is some *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ on ebay. I sent him an email advising him of his ah ah ah over sight. Here is the original ebay ad. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

It actually looks bent on the left side in the original add, unless that is a distortion in the pic.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

Still may be ok. Are you sending it out, or whats your plan?

Comment

If you look at it it's twisted and the left end is bent. one of the bearing races looks like it was hammered on. There is some galling in the end of the rods. He writes "THIS CRANK MAY NOT HAVE EVER BEEN IN A BIKE." So I'm thinking mint, cherry, perfect except for the one set of bearings that I figured probably fell apart. HaHaHa. This is junk. If I advertised everything that was wrong with it I don't think I could get $5 for it.

My plan is to see about switching to a slider next year. So I need to change my gear from 750 to 1100 or get another crank built. So I see this one and I'm thinking I'll snag it up and if I decide to build another crank and keep my crank on the shelf I'll have a good crank to send out. It will need main bearings, but it alreaady has the big end on it and probably good rod bearings if it really looks like it "may have never been in a bike". If I don't use it to build I'll sell it. I have 2 80 cranks here I could send out, but they will need rod bearings, main bearins, billet left ends. The whole 9 yards.

Comment

He just hit me with a refund. No problem at all. Said to throw it in the garbage.

Comment

I just figured if your sending it to Falicon anyway it shouldn't be that big of a problem to have them rebuilt the way you want it. New rods, ends, bearings and other tricks shouldn't set you back too much, but like you said, you already have two of them in better shape.

So what's the guy saying who sold it to you??? Is he taking it back, or just refunding your money?

softer launches save cranks

Comment

Originally posted by rosco15
              He just hit me with a refund. No problem at all. Said to throw it in the garbage.

I had experiences like that. The guy was being honest with that he said in the add because he really thought that. And didn't know enough to be able to tell. Instant refund and an apology. If only all sellers could be like this.

Comment

I saw he has that PayPal insurance thingy too.

Did you post some good feedback.
                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I'll be giving him good feedback later today. He said it wasn't worth shipping it back so I should just scrap it or whatever. It worked out great.

Comment

I actually bid on it too...then something told me to hold off. I bid only $40...all I wanted was the tapered end that the starting clutch/flywheel mount on.

Hap

Comment

I don't know if Falicon could salvage that crank but I do know that it wouldn't be cheap! If you're not going racing with it, toss it. And who ever heard of a crank lying around that "may not have ever been in a bike"? With bearings missing. Yeah, sure.

Comment

Who knows Ryan might just add it to his door stopper collection

I think we all got something like it.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I'm not sure that I would consider anything that Falicon does to be cheap. But if you want it done right .....

"Who knows Ryan might just add it to his door stopper collection. I think we all got something like it."

Thanks to eBay, my door stop piles are going down.

Comment

Falicon whacked me over 600.00 to have my 78 8v 1k crank welded, balanced and a new output shaft end. But the crank is perfect and built to last now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                              Falicon whacked me over 600.00 to have my 78 8v 1k crank welded, balanced and a new output shaft end. But the crank is perfect and built to last now.
                              thats not a bad price, I paid over 400 in 1990 for the 1150 crank at falicon for just the balance and welding

Comment

Working...
                              X