GS1000G engine build questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G engine build questions

I just aquired a GS1000G engine to drop in the 850. as I understand it it should bolt right in with little or no trouble. I will have the whole bike to get parts from, minus bodywork and exhaust. it runs, but thats sorta irrelevant.

I want it to be streetable, not a drag bike, but Im thinking a big bore kit, cams, 4 into 1, some headwork, etc. Id like to see 120 HP or so at least. I want suggestions on does and don'ts for this engine. plus input on cam selection, and what machine shops are able to do a good job on the head. Im willing to ship it anywhere in the US, and although there is a budget on this project Im not afraid to spend a little money.

it will be street ridden in the summer months, what are my options on an oil cooler? where is the line as far as what will survive on the street? my plan is to store my 850 engine, which runs fine, as a replacement if the 1000 needs freshened at a later date, but would expect to get 2 or 3 seasons out of it before having to take it back out. on a side note Im not sure of the exact year of the engine as I have to go pick it up this weekend.

also, is there anyone here that has KZ1000 experience? seems Ive picked up a basket case, again unknown year, as I need to go get it as well. jeez, Im gonna have to make a day of picking up bike stuff.

Contact Bruce Sauer at Power by Sauer Racing. He is located near Columbus, OH and has a great reputation for building reliable horsepower. One of the best. Good luck.

BTW, my experience says the stock starter is the weakest link limiting long life in one of these "built" motors. Go easy on compression, moderate on displacement, near stock valve spring pressure (just avoid sky high revs!) and moderate cam lift.

Have fun.

Comment

KZ1000? Sweet! INFO....

found here: http://www.kzrider.com/forum/index.php

Comment

Working...
      X