wrapped exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wrapped exhaust

I see some fooks using it--Why???? I like the look but what purpose does it serve????????????

I believe you're talking about header "heat wrap". This stuff is used by racers mostly. It keeps the heat in the pipes. We all know how hot the air/oil cooled bikes are when we're sitting in traffic. It's also supposed to give racers an extra horsepower on two.

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I use it for two reasons. It keeps the heat in the pipes. More heat, faster turbo spin up. I am sure it helps some what, but I won't have the whole pipe wrapped.

The main reason I use it is to keep from melting....

Comment

hot air travels faster. Period.

Comment

I just have to...

Why does hot air travel faster?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
            I just have to...

Mark
            Here is the proof

Comment

That link doesn't work for me, Scotty.

Mark

Comment

hot air

dunno what that link was, but the basic concept is that the exhaust gas has a given velocity and temp at the port, where it launches into the pipe. If the temp is kept up the velocity stays up. If the gas cools, it 'shrinks' and thus loses velocity. OK, more precisely it loses volume as it cools, thus the pressure is reduced, so the pressure differential between the port end and pipe end is reduced, so it tends to slow down. Is better if the flow stays up and the gas keeps going out the pipe.

This is the Homer Simpson explanation, if you use search you will find lots of previous serious discussion on this. I would suggest that the concept is the same with a turbo inserted in the flow path, except is even more important to keep flow/pressure up.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                  I just have to...

Mark
                  Here is the proof
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=25981
                  So Dom if we wrap page 46 in heat wrap..it should move along quicker

Comment

That link doesn't work for me, Scotty.

Mark
                    Then apply for the off topic forum by clicking on usergroups at the top right of this page. You are not missing anything. It is a link to a thread that so many of my good friends use every day and i think it total stupidity.((hot air))

Actually it is a great spot where folks say hi every day and it is the closest thing to a chat room that the gs resources needs.

It reminds me of folks yacking on a telephone about nothing. i like to read it from time to time and find out whats cooking around ther globe.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
                      I just have to...

Mark
                      Here is the proof
                      wrap the stuff over thier heads in an order that covers and is is paralell to the mouth

Comment

Re: hot air

Originally posted by melray
                        dunno what that link was, but the basic concept is that the exhaust gas has a given velocity and temp at the port, where it launches into the pipe. If the temp is kept up the velocity stays up. If the gas cools, it 'shrinks' and thus loses velocity. OK, more precisely it loses volume as it cools, thus the pressure is reduced, so the pressure differential between the port end and pipe end is reduced, so it tends to slow down. Is better if the flow stays up and the gas keeps going out the pipe.

This is the Homer Simpson explanation, if you use search you will find lots of previous serious discussion on this. I would suggest that the concept is the same with a turbo inserted in the flow path, except is even more important to keep flow/pressure up.
                        so you are saying as the gas condenses it becomes heavier and moves slower?????

Comment

Originally posted by wrench
                          I just have to...

Mark
                          Here is the proof
                          wrap the stuff over thier heads in an order that covers and is is paralell to the mouth

Comment

Re: hot air

Originally posted by melray

So, if I wrap my headers will my carbs need to be re-adjusted?

Comment

So if I wrap the header, the bike should run better?

Comment

Working...
                              X