1982 GS1100EZ Winter Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100EZ Winter Project

This weekend I started a project that I have been researching for a couple months now. My friend Jerry has had my bike for the last 6 weeks making it run properly while I have been trying to find parts. My inspiration for this project is Solo Suzuki's bike that I happened to see in the March 2003 "bike of the month" while I was researching my charging/carb/valve problems.

I still have a lot of work to do, but this weekend I spent the better of both days working on it, and I feel like I'm well on my way to making this my new killer street ride.

Most of this work should be done in a well lit, dry, well equiped garage, but part of the art of this project is to make due with what you've got. So don't cringe when you see some of the tools I employ on this job.
    Anyway, enjoy:

-Kevin in Portland, OR

thanks

Comment

great stuff kevin, keep it coming...b.b.

Comment

Great project. Keep up the good work. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Re: 1982 GS1100EZ Winter Project

Originally posted by outofcontrol
          This weekend I started a project that I have been researching for a couple months now. My friend Jerry has had my bike for the last 6 weeks making it run properly while I have been trying to find parts. My inspiration for this project is Solo Suzuki's bike that I happened to see in the March 2003 "bike of the month" while I was researching my charging/carb/valve problems.

I still have a lot of work to do, but this weekend I spent the better of both days working on it, and I feel like I'm well on my way to making this my new killer street ride.

Most of this work should be done in a well lit, dry, well equiped garage, but part of the art of this project is to make due with what you've got. So don't cringe when you see some of the tools I employ on this job.
          Anyway, enjoy:

-Kevin in Portland, OR

You are probably going to find, just as I am, the further you dig into your project, the further you open up cans of worms....LOL. It's all ok, as you have ALL winter to keep you busy.
          Rich

Comment

Clam,
            You're right, but on the other hand I have gotten so much good guidance and advice (mostly from this site) that every roadblock I've come across has been expected. To be honest, I thought I'd have way more problems than I do. So many of the Suzuki peices are shared between the donor bikes and my project, it feels like mostly "bolt on" improvements.

For instance, I thought the swingarm pivot bolts were totally different, and I was going to have to fabricate a bolt or find one that fit...nope, the GS one is the same. I was even able to take the bearing races out of the old swingarm and use them in the new one since they were missing. Also the sprocket carrier is the same for both wheels, and the rear axle is the same diameter (it is a different length, but all the spacers, bearings, etc. fit).

The front end was a breeze. There was even a spot for the instrument cluster (a little bending was needed) just bolt it on. The steering stops are perfect, and the ignition switch even is in the right spot for the steering lock.

I was a little disappointed that the stock exhaust doesn't fit around the gsxr swingarm, but I was going to make the improvement anyway. I just wanted to space out the purchases. Luckily a brand new V&H full system is only $250. That's cheap compared to most modern bikes. ($800+)

I have to relocate the rear master cly., but I had been warned about that, and it will be a pretty easy procedure. I'm also going to move the rear caliper to under the swingarm, but I have to find a caliper and rotor first.

I have to say that I'm pretty happy with my progress, and I have not had one feeling of taking the sledge hammer to the project. It'll most likely happen, but not yet.

-K

Comment

Way to go Kevin!

...moving along just fine! 8) \/

Comment

That color starts to grow on me after awhile

Yeap I think you got it under control 8) 8) 8) Nice work
                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

the purple people eater

the color is this blue/purple that changes with the light and the angle. it looks better in these pictures than it does in person. it's gotta go.

Painting it is going to be one of the last things I do, and it's going to be black. you can't go wrong with black.

-KM

Comment

Great job so far!

Interesting, your chain guard is chrome, mine is black. I like those case guards also. I wonder if you can still get those, I will have to do some reasearch.
                    Rich

Comment

relocating rear brake and fitting new exhaust

This week I worked on relocating the rear brake master, the return springs, and the brake light switch spring.

Then today the new exhaust arrived. I was so relieved that I didn't have to mod any part of it (except the header bolts) and everything clears!

Next week I'll get the rear shock tabs welded on the swingarm, and buy a chain and sprockets, and I should be able to take her for a test ride. Oh, I guess I'll have to put oil in the forks, and install some brakes, oh and a headlight. maybe it will be a couple weeks more. The brakes are on the way--Thanks Katman!!!!

Check out the link in my sig for the full story...

-Kevin

Comment

Hey Kevin,

Nice work.

If you don't pace yourself, you are going to have your winter project done by Christmas....

Comment

Is that a KTM Supermoto in the background????
                          IBA# 24077
                          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Looks great. Why isn't your engine black????

Comment

Orgi,
                              It is going faster than expected, but I'm sure I'll loose steam when I start cleaning and prepping the bike for paint. I'll end up just riding the thing the way it is.

Joe,
                              Yes. 04 KTM 450 SMR. I sold my SV racebike after 3 years of roadracing with OMRRA, and I have been obsessed with supermoto. www.supermotousa.net

Scotty,
                              I donno. Is it supposed to be black? I have a chrome chainguard too. All I know about the last owner is that he was from AZ, and he doesn't know crap about bikes. Maybe the black got baked off in the sun? Maybe the same guy who painted it purple blasted the black off?

-K

Comment

Working...
                              X