Mounted GSXR shock on 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounted GSXR shock on 550

On my 85 GS550E the eyelet is on the bottom. On the GSXR shock the eyelet is on the top. So I just mounted it upside down, it went right in. I had to use narrower spacers on the bottom shock mount and a longer bolt on the top. But the centerstand has to be removed because the shock is in the way. I am putting the new fork springs in tomorrow. As soon as the signal generator comes in I will take it for a ride and see if the shock works upside down.

what year did you get the gsxr shock off of? get some pics up if you can.

Comment

Listing said it was an 03. Took the spring off and the shock works so I put it on. I still need to remove the centerstand, but it looks like the exhaust will need to come off to get it.

Comment

Here's some pics

Comment

I just thought I would let everyone know, the GSXR shock does work upside down.

Comment

Could you possibly post those pics on this website? PLEASE. Also let us know sppcifically what you had to do to get it on and what make and model bike you not only have but what make and model bike you pulled it off of. Thanks again, Duane.

Comment

My bike is an 85 GS550E, this is the shock I removed from my bike
              The eyelet is the bottom mount. The Clymers book says to remove the swingarm to remove the shock. You don't have to remove the swingarm, just unbolt the shock and it will slide out the bottom. It's easier to leave the linkage/pivot arm bolted to the shock, it will come out with the shock. To get the preload adjuster to slide out you have to remove the top engine mount on the right rear.

Comment

This is a pic of what GSXR shocks look like, the eyelet is the top mount.

The auction I won said that it was an 03 600 shock and it had a black spring. But the shock i got had a red spring and the box had "1000 shock" written on it. Mount to mount it was the same length as the 550 shock.

Comment

Mounted
                  top view from left side, I used the 550 pivot arm and had to use a longer bolt for the top mount

bottom view from right side

bottom view from left side

On the bottom you need narrower spacers for both sides of the mount, you can trim down the spacers off the 550 shock.
                  I had to remove the center stand because it was hitting the shock and hanging down way to far.

Comment

INFO on GSXR Shock on GS 550E

Hello,

I am currently using an 83 550ES as a club racer and I have the GSXR 1000 shock and WAS TOTALLY STOKED to find someone had already done this conversion. I was hoping to get a little more info from you since you completed it.

First... have you found any issues with it since completing the swap and riding it?

Also were you able to use the entire GSXR piece, shock and spring? What are your impressions in terms of performance...lot better...little better??

And anything other information that you think will be helpful..thanks and please contact me at:

mark_storck@hotmail.com

THANKS
                    Mark S.

Comment

And to think I have a 98? gsxr600 shock in the basement already. it looks identical to what you installed. Skreemer will scream..
                      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I happen to like my center stand though....

eh we'll just have to see what we can do... definitely is a much cheaper option than spending the 300 - 600 dollars for a rebuilt/new one.

Comment

How about rotating the shock 180 degrees so the reservior is rear of the link instead of in front? You may then be able to keep the centre stand.
                          Dink

Comment

Just curious: how does the rebound compare to the stock shock? I would guess it is much stiffer and would require a change to the front suspension as well?

Comment

I value the center stand as well...

Comment

Working...
                              X