Which DynoJet jet kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which DynoJet jet kit?

I'm thinking about picking up a Dj kit while I can but I'm not sure which one to get. The bike is a hybred between a US spec '83 GS750ES (engine) and Canadian '84 GS750EF carbs which might be jetted already or might just come with different jets. Those carbs have Mikuni jets... I think... with the square within a square logo and five position needles.

Anyway I see two jet kits, one for all '83 GS750 (#9055) and one (#3112) for '85 GS700. AFAIK the carbs are pretty much the same between '83-85 so the difference might/must be in the jet sizes in the kits. Anyone know which option would be better?

The bike is a GS750EF with stock airbox and Uni filter, stock headers mated to two Hayabusa mid pipes and cans. I think I still have some slightly lean areas but I have another notch to go up on the needles.

Also will some all or any of the jets work in flatslide carbs? I think flatslides and pods would be my next REAL change a year or so from now.

/\/\ac

Re: Which DynoJet jet kit?

Originally posted by Macmatic
    I'm thinking about picking up a Dj kit while I can but I'm not sure which one to get. The bike is a hybred between a US spec '83 GS750ES (engine) and Canadian '84 GS750EF carbs which might be jetted already or might just come with different jets. Those carbs have Mikuni jets... I think... with the square within a square logo and five position needles.

Anyway I see two jet kits, one for all '83 GS750 (#9055) and one (#3112) for '85 GS700. AFAIK the carbs are pretty much the same between '83-85 so the difference might/must be in the jet sizes in the kits. Anyone know which option would be better?

The bike is a GS750EF with stock airbox and Uni filter, stock headers mated to two Hayabusa mid pipes and cans. I think I still have some slightly lean areas but I have another notch to go up on the needles.

Also will some all or any of the jets work in flatslide carbs? I think flatslides and pods would be my next REAL change a year or so from now.

/\/\ac
    Just jet what you have if you are gonna get flatslides. Sounds like you are close to what you need as far as jetting anyway. If you decide to go to pods get the DJ Kit 9055

Jgordon

Comment

Factory Pro jet kits

Alot of guys swear by the Factory Pro kits. The local dyno shop here in Los Angeles 2wheeltuning.com says they are the best(and no...they don't sell them). I've not used Factory Pro but am seriously considering it.

Comment

If you have adjustable jet needles then it sounds like a kit has already been installed. Check your plugs. You probably just make adjustments to the jet needle's height and you'll be fine. If you need to you can always order different sized mains or pilots. Again, it all depends on what your plugs look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jiggles
          If you have adjustable jet needles then it sounds like a kit has already been installed. Check your plugs. You probably just make adjustments to the jet needle's height and you'll be fine. If you need to you can always order different sized mains or pilots. Again, it all depends on what your plugs look like.
          My carbs came off a Canadian bike and I'm pretty sure they were adjustable from the factory. The jet sizes also very some from the US spec carbs, when I get a minute I'll come back and edit this post with the differences between my US and Canadian carbs which I've posted in the past.

Could be wrong tho... maybe they are jetted already.

/\/\ac

Comment

I have a set of each on the bench right now. Looks like US spec (off a '79) has 112 mains and Can. spec(off a later model-plastic slides,different cable brackets,less weight) has 120's. The Dynojet kit I was putting in the US carbs has DJ 130's (for stage 3). From what I have read about the difference in numbering between DJ and Mikuni that is only a little over one size up over the 120's, not enough to be safe. So I am going back to basics and starting with Mik130's and working from there. I haven't got the Canadian slides apart yet to see what needles are in there. Later.

EDIT: Needles in the Canadian carbs are adjustable as are the air screws. The number is 5D07. The slides are not plastic, they are black finished metal. The DJ needles taper sharply compared to stock. After working on them and having time to think, I am using the DJ130's to start. The chokes are the same size, the engine has the same dimensions(as far as I know) and the air is the same colour in both countries so the difference in standard jetting has to be an EPA thing or a better flowing head on the later model. So, I have late model Canadian carbs with an early US model DJ stage 3 kit on a 1979 stock engine. Feel free to point and laugh derisively in a couple of weeks when I am looking for a set of unmelted pistons and a cylinder head. Rik out.

Comment

Working...
            X