** Katana 600 as donor for 83 GS750ED?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** Katana 600 as donor for 83 GS750ED?

I am looking at picking up an 88 Katana 600 with a locked up engine. I want to use the front end on my 83 GS750ED and maybe the rear if I can get it to fit.
    Can anybody tell me if this bike is an appropriate donor for my GS750ED? Will the front end fit without major hassles? Are there any other parts I could use on the GS? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Absolutely, what you see above is a 1993 Katana 750 front end on my '83 GS750ED. I believe the Katana 750/600 were identical up until 1997. You should have 17x3.0 front and 17x3.5 rear wheels. While it is not the latest inverted stuff, 41mm fork tubes and floating dual piston disc brakes are an improvement over stock GS parts. Not to mention the weight savings on the wheels alone.

The fork tubes are a bit shorter than the GS units, but as you are replacing a 16in front with a 17, that will make up some of the lost clearance. I am not using the Katana bars, I have LSL riser clip-ons that mount below the top triple.

I have wanted to go with modern 17in rubber for some time, the Katana parts fell in my lap for dirt cheap and I did not want to pay $500 for a full GSXR setup. I am using Race Tech springs, Galfer brake lines and had a fork brace fabricated to replace the thin stamped stock piece.

I am using a 2001 Katana 17x4.5 rear and plan to run radial tires, 110/70 front and 160/60 rear. The 3.5 rear should bolt right up (I have used a GS1150 3.5in rear) and will take a 140 tire nicely within the stock swingarm. You will have to fabricate a thinner rear brake arm to clear the tire. The front will require cutting off the steering lock from the frame, new instrument mounting, and reworked fork stops.

Other than front end and wheels, the oil cooler could be mounted to replace the small GS unit. I sold off all the unneeded parts off my 1993 Katana chasis on ebay and made most of my money back.

All pretty easy stuff. I can't wait to finish the bike, probably spring. Any other questions, give me a shout.

Good Luck, Ed.
    1983 GS750ED
    2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

Looks good Ed!

Here's a couple pics of my 82 750e project with 91 katana suspension. Your right on the price! I picked up the katana for free from my buddies shop. It had a blown motor & an inch of dust on it. I agree that the suspension is an upgrade and is nice to be working with a complete parts bike.

Goodluck on the project!

Robert

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm glad this is a do-able project. The price for the Gixxer pieces was more than I can afford for my hobby. The total bike comes cheaper than what a Gixxer wheel would cost!
        I had read that replacing the 83 GS750 suspension with more modern hardware totally transforms the bike. Now I'll have the chance to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by sisu1970

Looks good Ed!

Here's a couple pics of my 82 750e project with 91 katana suspension. Your right on the price! I picked up the katana for free from my buddies shop. It had a blown motor & an inch of dust on it. I agree that the suspension is an upgrade and is nice to be working with a complete parts bike.

Goodluck on the project!

Robert

I'll return the complement, thats a very nice 750. The wheels look great, that is going to be a very nice ride. What tires are you using?

I am going to either go black or dark grey on wheel color. Keep the pics coming as you go along. My project is sidetracked as I picked up another bike and have been tweaking on it. Seeing your pics is a kick in the butt to finish my GS.

Are those GSXR CV carbs?

Ride On, Ed.
          1983 GS750ED
          2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

First off thanks!

None of these mods would have been possilble without this web site or some your posts i've read.

The tires are metzlers ,140 80 17 on the rear that will be replaced with a 160. The carbs are 86 gsxr 1100 with the factory pro jet kit. They made a big difference on the bike. You replied with the gsxr carb sizes and years which was very helpful.

Are you using the 520 conversion on your bike? I heard that will make up the difference on the rear wheel being wider for the front drive sprocket alignment.

I've been side tracked also on the bike but i will be sure to post more pics as i progress.

Thanks ,Robert

Comment

Glad I could be of help, I have used those 34mm CV carbs since 1988 and really like them.

Yes I have ordered and recieved 520 sprockets and chain. The front is an offset- 5/8 I believe. I am going with 15/45 in size as I have run that in 530 for many years and like the ratio.

My big holdup is the motor, it has 45,000 miles and needs a cam chain so I am doing the entire thing while it is apart. Full crank work with 816cc piston kit. I have boxes of new parts, new RS34 Mikuni carbs and Electrix R/R among others. I plan to go back to more moderate .330 lift cams with an all new head incl. valves and springs.

The modern wheels really make a difference on your 750, have you completed the swingarm/monoshock fitment? I recognise the Katana swingarm as I have one hanging up in my garage.

I plan to update on here with pics when I really get it going, do the same for your bike.

Thanks again, Ed.
              1983 GS750ED
              2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
                I have ordered and recieved 520 sprockets and chain. The front is an offset- 5/8 I believe. I am going with 15/45 in size as I have run that in 530 for many years and like the ratio.

Thanks again, Ed.
                1983 GS750ED
                2005 GSF1200SZ
                Hey Ed, If you do not mind me asking, where did you get the 520 offset sprocket? All the ones I have seen are 530s. I would like to swap my Buffalo to the 520 as well for space restraints.

Comment

No problem, JTSprockets were who I used. They were very helpful over the phone. The offset countershaft 520 was listed for a Katana / early GSXR. What I found by doing a little research, was Suzuki only used a few different countershaft sprockets for all the different models - therefore many interchange.

As there are not many people going 520 conversions on the dinosaurs we have, I had to find a more modern application that would work. If you need more info let me know and I will unbox the sprockets- all my parts are boxed away awaiting use.

Good Luck, Ed.
                  1983 GS750ED
                  2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

As there are not many people going 520 conversions on the dinosaurs we have, I had to find a more modern application that would work. If you need more info let me know and I will unbox the sprockets- all my parts are boxed away awaiting use.
                    I'm interested! I just put a new 530 chain on my GS750EF about 1,200 miles ago but I'm going to be working on a GS550M with GS700 engine project this winter and I don't see a reason not to go with 520 since I'm going to have to make up all up as I go along anyway.

/\/\ac

Comment

katana swingarm

Yes that is the kat swingarm and mono shock.

I used the top shock mount from the katana which i had to cut off. It has the tabs that run to the rear top motor mount.

I still have to weld some brackets to the sides of the top bracket mount and then bolt it to the frame keeping it from pivoting up and down. It is alot beefer looking swingarm. I still have to repaint the swingarm silver and repaint the rims black.

They have the 520 conversions on ebay 150.00 with shipping.

I will try to keep the pics coming, and progress.

Thanks, Robert

Comment

No problem, JTSprockets were who I used. They were very helpful over the phone. The offset countershaft 520 was listed for a Katana / early GSXR. What I found by doing a little research, was Suzuki only used a few different countershaft sprockets for all the different models - therefore many interchange.

Good Luck, Ed.
                        1983 GS750ED
                        2005 GSF1200SZ

Mastiff, Sorry for the thread highjacking.........

Ed, Thanks for the info on the sprocket!!! I got on their website and they have the dimensions for my sprocket on there. That is great information! If I end up having to get an offset custom made, this will come in handy. Thanks!

Comment

No problem. I may very well need that information anyway. I'll probably onvert to the 520 also.

Comment

bikes look great ! would be better if you could do something with the stock tail-unit. always thought they were way too big ! just my opinion...b.b.

Comment

question about the 2001 rear wheel fitment on the 83 gs750ed

I am off and on again with my project, but anyway, I got a 2001 katana rear wheel and a '93 hub/cush drive and '93 rear caliper and my experience was not the same as OldSkool, it doesn't fit in the swingarm without spreading it and then other issues arise.

What year hub did you say you used that its fits without changing the spacing of the swingarm? The '93 hub is tall enough that it offsets the wheel within the swinarm towards the non-drive side, and the only solution to the wheel being out of alignment within the bikes centerline that I see is a shorter hub, but don't know which one to use. I already tried the one suggested it seems.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X