Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1150 front end wobble (adding late model steering damper?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 front end wobble (adding late model steering damper?)

Has anyone added a steering damper to their 1150? I have a 03 Busa damper that I am plaining to fab brackets for and install on my 85 1150ES. If anyone has any info on this I would be grateful.

Are your tires getting a bit wornout maybe? Or maybe a little underinflated? Otherwise it's steeringhead or swingarm bearing that need attention, a properly setup 1150 will not wobble.
    Also leaky rear shock or front forks.

Comment

I put one on my 1150. Used a PMFR front bracket and picked up a tab on the frame.
      EULC ON

Comment

How do these things work anyway? I'm guessing they only damped high speed movement of the forks and not normal steering input, or do they just make it stiffer to turn the bars?

/\/\ac

Comment

bubba, I would sort out the wabble before the brace. The brace isn't for compansating other problems, its for added regitity. Fix the problem first.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
            Are your tires getting a bit wornout maybe? Or maybe a little underinflated? Otherwise it's steeringhead or swingarm bearing that need attention, a properly setup 1150 will not wobble.
            My bike suffers from all those problems and mine still don't shake. 8O
            Seriously though I'd look into the cause then go for the cool damper. 8)

Comment

you will also want to check your front and rear wheel alignment
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by RobGS850L
                Originally posted by robinjo
                My bike suffers from all those problems and mine still don't shake. 8O
                Seriously though I'd look into the cause then go for the cool damper. 8)
                That's because you have the 19" wagon wheel up front but even with it you can get wobbles decelerating from 50 without hands or holding on to the bars loosely.

Comment

I Had some problems with my EF when I got it, what solved my problems was lose swinging arm pivet, Tires change things emencely

Comment

Busa damper works!

installed the damper yesterday and It works great! I forgot to metion in my first post that I bought this bike on ebay a few months ago. It only had 11K miles on it and had sat in a garage fot the last ten years. I put new metzler rubber and brakes on it which made it feel new,but when pushed hard around 130 mph 8O it still would shake its head a little, the damper has cured that. I owend the same bike new in 85 and it would show the same problem with some front tire wear, always wanted to try a damper on an 1150 to see if it wold help, both of my GSXR'S had them and now I know why.

Comment

the gixxers have dampers becasue the steering is so fast. little rake and trail makes it neccessary. I still think you should have solved the shaking first but if it is only up at 130 or better I can't see it being a problem very often.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X