Added hazard lights to my 83 GS1100 G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added hazard lights to my 83 GS1100 G

After reading a few stories and having been on the side of the road messing with something or another, I decided it would be helpful to add a hazard light circuit to my 1100G.

It's a pretty simple mod, and from the get-go I decided to use a separate flasher relay instead of tying into the one that makes the signals blink R or L. I chose to buy a nice two-pole signal relay ($7) because they can handle a wide variance in load.

The only tricky part is finding a DPST (double pole, single throw) toggle switch. I found one at Home Depot of all places since Radio Shack was coming up with nil (what happened to that place?). The reason for the DP is because you don't want to close the circuit between the L and R signals while the hazard lights are off, otherwise when you go to use your turn signals, they'll all flash at the same time. You could substitute a DPDT switch; you just won't use both of the throws.

Now, for the wiring (see schematic below too):

I wanted these to work if the ignition is on or not, so you need to splice into a +12V wire after it has left the fuse box. Run that wire to the "X" terminal of the flasher relay. Then run a wire from the "L" terminal of the relay to one of the middle terminals of the switch. Use a small wire to connect both of the middle terminals of the switch. That way, you're sending power to both poles of the switch.

All you have to do now is run a single wire from one pole of the switch to the L +(positive) turn signal wire, and one wire from the other pole to the R + turn signal wire.

I mounted my toggle switch near the fuse box right behind my side body panel and tapped into the wires going to the rear signals underneath the seat. You may want to do this up front and have the switch near your console - it's up to you. Any questions, let me know!

-Jon

Last edited by jonr; 05-23-2011, 06:20 PM.
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

flashers

You have developed an eleganct solution. I'm too lazy. I like to carry a blinking bicycle taillight with me. It uses LEDs and goes for days on a set of batteries. It is waterproof, and costs about $10.

Tom
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I always just leave one of my signals flashing if I'm at the side of the road, but I like your solution, Jon! Very nice! I think that if I do the same I'll modify it slightly to make both of my brake lights flash as well (extra visibility!).

Regards,
      Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
      X