Cam Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Inspection

I have a 1980 1100E and have just taken the engine apart. After inspecting all of the componets I noticed that my cams are pitted where the rocker arms rest. They do not look bad but should I be concerned about this. It looks like an imperfection in the forgeing. The rocker arms are fine and the bike always ran great. I am not planing to race it so what are the issues that I may have to consider.

The Beast :twisted:

If the rockers look OK and your're just using stock springs and you say the cam still looks OK, then I'd would'nt worry about it.

Now if they have wear marks or groove's that may be a differant story. If your running HD springs and have a defect or wear on the cams they show up on the rocker pretty quick.

I think pitting on a machine surface could be cause by rust. If the bike was stored for a long time out in the cold.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Re: Cam Inspection

Originally posted by Boozy Creek Beast
      I have a 1980 1100E and have just taken the engine apart. After inspecting all of the componets I noticed that my cams are pitted where the rocker arms rest. They do not look bad but should I be concerned about this. It looks like an imperfection in the forgeing. The rocker arms are fine and the bike always ran great. I am not planing to race it so what are the issues that I may have to consider.

The Beast :twisted:
      I'd replace them. Too many stock cams out there in good shape to be using pittted cams.

Comment

The original rockers on the exhaust side in 1980 were slotted in the middle and would dig down in the cam and leave a groove in the middle of the cam. I would add oil pump gears from a 1978-83 gs750-850 for more oil volume. Might not be a problem that you have but as I remember a bad rocker can wipe out a cam lobe very quickly. If your going to replace a cam buy new rockers also.

Comment

Originally posted by pee wee
          If your going to replace a cam buy new rockers also.
          Or have yours hardwelded and they will last forever.

Jay
          Speed Merchant
          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
          X