Yet Another Winter Project - '83 750es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another Winter Project - '83 750es

Hey there duders, I'm back to work on my bike. I lost the thread that I had started when my account expired, so here is a new one! I'm working in my friend's garage, so hopefully progress will be substantially faster (yay airtools!), especially since I'm on break from school. Here are the bits that remain to be put on:

'89 gsxr 750 rear (4.5/160)
    Yoshimura duplex system (from gsxr750w)
    Mikuni 34's (mechanical flatslide)
    fox twin clicker rear shock (origionally 90ish gsxr 750)
    renthal pro taper dirtbike bars
    2001 gsxr 1000 rear caliper and MS (if I can make it fit)
    new chain/sprockets, maybe 520?

Hopefully when I get that stuff done, I'll move on to chopping and adding bits to the frame, fabbing up some digital gauges, and a million other ideas I have. Then I'll move onto the cosmetic stuff, but I'll save that for the appearance mods forum.

I should have some progress photos later this evening, so stay tuned.

Sounds a bit like mine. I'll be doing something with the rear suspension soon and upgrading the front fork again. I have a '95 front end I'll be slipping into 954 clamps. Engine work will include a lightened 750 crank, Cosworth 12:1, and V&H cams.

Comment

looks awesome, Billy! I look foreward to hearing how yours turns out. I may need to pick your brain a bit later, in regards to carb jetting and 520 conversion stuff.

Comment

Re: Yet Another Winter Project - '83 750es

Originally posted by sidd
        Well?

Comment

Sidd, anything I can do to hep just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            Sounds a bit like mine. I'll be doing something with the rear suspension soon and upgrading the front fork again. I have a '95 front end I'll be slipping into 954 clamps. Engine work will include a lightened 750 crank, Cosworth 12:1, and V&H cams.

Hey Billy, not to hijack, but is that a Nissan Murano in the background

How do you like it
            Always thought they were intereseting when they came out but never got a chance to really look at one :?
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Oh yeah, the bike looks sharp too :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Hey Billy, are you using the stock fuel valve or a Pingel?

My 750 project is stalled while I get the Bandit set up properly but I have already bought the RS34's for the 816cc motor going in the '83.

Your bike looks good, the modern wheels make a huge difference. do you plan on putting a larger oil cooler on it, the stock unit is gonna be hard pressed when you go 12-1. I have both a Busa and Katana 600 oil coolers to try on the 816cc 10.25-1 motor.

Ride On, Ed.
                1983 GS750ED
                2005 GSF1200SZ

Comment

A small update: waiting for materials to machine a bearing support for the rear wheel. I found a spacer that might work when added to the gs wheel bearing, at OSH of all places, but I'd rather "do it right" and take the time to machine the proper piece.

The gsxr750w (watercooled) exhaust indeed does NOT work in it's stock form. I thought the 750w looked close enough to the air/oil cooled ones that it might, but alas it does not. At the header, tubes 1 and 4 are too close to the center by about half an inch, and tubes 2 and 3 want to hit the front crossmember. Note I refered to its stock form. Since I'm too po' to find a proper exhaust on ebay, I'm going to try and make the one I have work by widening the spread between tubes 1 and 4, as well as machining longer quick release exhaust couplings, such that they will distance the header from the crossmember. It would be a sin to put my old rusted, dented, leaking exhaust back on when I have a perfectly good stainless race system in my posession.

Hoomgar: sorry about the lack of update. All of the new pics are on my friend's 20D, which I can barely take pictures with, much less download the pictures from by myself. Soon, I swear!

Comment

Doug, it is a Murano. If the wife hadn't been driving the Z that day the pic would have been taken in front of it. After driving the Z the Murano feels like a van. It has a detuned version of the same motor as the Z uses. Great get up and go when you really floor it. We picked it up used with a little over 32k miles on it at a nice discount. It booked out at about 28k and we got it for a little over 22k. So far we like it. Fit and finish is good and it's roomy inside. The wife needed something to drive her Mom around in. It's a little tough for her Mom to get in and out of the Z.

As for the bike that pic is after a slight get off in the hill country. If you look you can see the ignition cover is scratched up and caliche is still in the cylinder fins. The header took a beating and the canister has a couple of scrapes too. The canister I can just respray with some clear.

Ed, I have a huge GSXR cooler I'll use when I do the motor. I am thinking about using a couple of large computer fans over the top of the head that I can switch on and off in traffic. I'm still using the stock petcock with no problems to date. It does however feel like it starts to starve at about 120.

Sidd, the water cooled pipes don't fit right. The air/oil pipes do.

Comment

i was wondering what 95 front end you are using? i want to upgrade my 83 750es and need to know what a good upgrade would be.

Comment

Originally posted by originalsturge
                        i was wondering what 95 front end you are using? i want to upgrade my 83 750es and need to know what a good upgrade would be.
                        I'm going to use a '95 GSXR750 fork in Honda CBR954 triple clamps. The fork is a Showa piece with adjustments for everything. I've been in touch with a suspension guy that's going to set it up for this application. The Honda triples have a stepped top clamp that gives close to an inch of extra height to make up for the shorter forks. You don't lose quite as much height as it appears though since the newer front ends have less travel and better control than the old GS models. I use an '89 GSXR750 wheel and calipers with PFM iron rotors. The stock GSXR rotors are fine if you can find a straight set. My old wheel and brakes will fit the '95 fork. '96 and up front ends will need SRAD brakes.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to hit up some local salvage places now and find the front ends. Keep me posted on how it works out for you.

Comment

Hey there duders, I'm back to work on my bike. I lost the thread that I had started when my account expired, so here is a new one! I'm working in my friend's garage, so hopefully progress will be substantially faster (yay airtools!), especially since I'm on break from school. Here are the bits that remain to be put on:

'89 gsxr 750 rear (4.5/160)
                            Yoshimura duplex system (from gsxr750w)
                            Mikuni 34's (mechanical flatslide)
                            fox twin clicker rear shock (origionally 90ish gsxr 750)
                            renthal pro taper dirtbike bars
                            2001 gsxr 1000 rear caliper and MS (if I can make it fit)
                            new chain/sprockets, maybe 520?

Hopefully when I get that stuff done, I'll move on to chopping and adding bits to the frame, fabbing up some digital gauges, and a million other ideas I have. Then I'll move onto the cosmetic stuff, but I'll save that for the appearance mods forum.

Hi Sidd,

I am also working on an 83, and I'm aving a hard time finding a pipe for it. Do the later model GSXR pipes work? I'm guessing some slight re-benidng at the back end and fabricating a ount, but do the headers match the exhaust flanges OK? Thanks.

Comment

Late model GSXR pipes aren't a good candidate. Port spacing is different and the engines are tilted much more forward than our GS engines. Late model Bandit and Katana based pipes might be a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X