Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Baffle

Hello all!!
    Not sure if this is the right area to ask this question.
    I tried the search engine in the GSRescources and could not find the answer to my question, so here it is.
    I have 78 GS750 I bought a couple of months ago with the stock 4 into 2 exhaust. I just bought a 4 into 1 exhuast from Ebay for $28.00, great deal.
    I received it today and it does not have any packing (sorry I am no mechaninc so ignore the non-techincal descriptions) in the baffle. The exhaust does not have a name on it.
    Can I buy packing for this or do I need it? If so, any reccomendations on where to get it. It does not have an end cap.
    Also, will I have to re jet the carbs?
    Thanks for any information and the great site.
    Thanks
    Allen

You can pack it with fiberglass, pack it tight.

Rejetting depends on a lot of factors, like if you have pods or an airbox. You will have to test it and see how it runs and do a chop test.

The chop test is running at or near full throttle in 4th or 5th gear and then killing the engine. When you pull a plug you should see if it is lean or rich. It is probably going to be a little leaner than with the stock exhaust.

Everything else needs to be in good shape. Points, plugs, air filter nd carb sync should be OK before trying to rejet for a pipe. Failure to do any of these steps means your going to be wasting your time.

Post a picture of what you bought (or the ebay link to it) and maybe someone can identify it and advise you on jetting.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks for the information!
      What about the missing cap on the end of the baffle? Can I find a replacement for that?
      I found a complete replacement muffler on oldbikebarn for about $35.00.
      The headers seem to measure up to my stock exhaust even though I have not tried putting it on yet, I will this weekend.
      This is the Ebay link if anyone has any ideas:

Thanks again
      Allen

Comment

I would be inclined to think that you'll find a replacement muffler long before you'd find just the missing cap.

Comment

Working...
        X