Weight of Carbs with Pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight of Carbs with Pods

I'm replacing the stock air box on my '78 750 with Uni pods and I'm concerned about the weight of the carbs. It seems like an awful lot of pressure is going to be put on the rubber intake manifolds. Has anyone fabricated a support bracket or something else to reduce the stress on the intake?

A coat hanger or a hose clamp works real well. Just run it up over the frame and back down to the carbs.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I used strips around the frame and the carb "interconnecting frame"
      This gives a nice flexible suspention.

Comment

airbox

Why remove the air box when all u have to do is get one large air filter and clamp it to the back of the air box. I should sit above the battery and the battery neds to be ziptied down to stop it jumping arourd. Thats just one idea

Comment

Originally posted by bj
          I'm replacing the stock air box on my '78 750 with Uni pods and I'm concerned about the weight of the carbs. It seems like an awful lot of pressure is going to be put on the rubber intake manifolds. Has anyone fabricated a support bracket or something else to reduce the stress on the intake?
          On my '83 with pods, I made an aluminum brace that I attached to the the rear of the carb rail(between carbs 2&3) and then to the frame. Maybe unnecessary but it makes me feel better.

Comment

Mine's been running with no bracing for, oh, about 26 years... haven't lost one yet. Have I just been stupid/lucky?

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
              On my '83 with pods, I made an aluminum brace that I attached to the the rear of the carb rail(between carbs 2&3) and then to the frame. Maybe unnecessary but it makes me feel better.
              Same thing here for the ratbike.

Comment

Mine's also completely unbraced - doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

Comment

Working...
                X