gs1000s head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000s head

do anyone know if a gs1100g head fit my gs1000s.
    as the 1000s need new valve guilds .
    thanks for any help

What year(s) are we talking here? The 80-81 gs1000 heads have a different intake runner profile. They have a bit more cross-sectional area through the entire runner than the 78-79 gs1000 heads.

Are you talking a 80-81 "G" head on a 78 "S"? The swap WON'T work on the 82 "S" as the 82 gs1000 is a 4-valve motor.

Disregarding the 82 head... Yes it will fit but its not the same head. You may run into a diameter difference between your carb boots and the intake runners of the G head (how much this affects performace... I dont know). If you want a straight swap (everything fits and looks/acts the same) then stick with the 78-79 gs1000(S,E,L) heads.

If its a matter of convenience (you have the G,GL head sitting around, or you picked it up in a poker game..) then you can save some money and use it. How complete is the alternate head? (you need to check cams, cam chain idler gear, cam chain guide..etc.. crossreference too) The valves are the same for all the 2 valve 1000 heads.

If you are putting a used head on the bike then you should be thinking that you'll run into worn guides on the second head some time soon also. It may just make sense to put new guides in the head you have.

Just my train of thought...

Hope it helps.

Comment

gs 1000s

thanks for reply my gs 1000s is 19790/80 , gs1100g head was given
      to me and was bought from a breaker my mate i got from had it
      gas flowed ,he was going to use it on his 1085 gs as they told him
      it would fit .

Comment

I'm pretty sure the heads will interchange as well as the cams, valve springs, buckets, etc. But be careful, there are differences in the intake boots ('80 and later are bigger for CV carbs), valve sizes (I think) and valve covers.

Just look it over very carefully to see what you're getting.

Comment

i think it can be swaped but you will need the 80's CV carbs to go with the head. the 1100g has bigger ports and d shaped exhaust ports which are supposta be better.

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
          X