Raking GS1100 Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raking GS1100 Frame

Can anyone walk me through raking a stock GS1100 (82) frame (38 degrees), guess I'll do it myself....Thanks

rake

Quickly....bare frame mounted to a dead flat steel surface very securely. Piece of round stock steel and steering head bearings... steel must be a snug fit through the bearings, this is mounted and tightened just like your triple trees, yes it has to be threaded in order to tighten it properly. Steel must almost touch the table to which the frame is mounted. The steel will rest between 2 pieces of 1.5" angle iron that are welded to the table. The angle iron runs dead nuts parallel with the backbone of the frame, this must be right on the money or you will waste you time and frame! the angle iron will act as a guide to keep everything straight as you change the steering head angle. Not sure if you are increasing or decreasing your angle as I don't know the stock specs. Any cut in the frame should be made close to the steering head in order to help retain proper geometry.
    This is not a task for any one with a low skill level !!!!! The math, cuts and welds as well as the set up must be done properly or your time on this planet will be short lived. Please re-read this last paragraph!

Comment

Custom made tripple trees might be another option

Comment

Triple trees

I would agree with the idea of "raked" trees only if the rake is very slight. Back when they came out as a cheater method of a chopper style rake some kits went too far. Personally rode a bike that was kicked out by using this set up and the phrase "scary stuff boys and girls" comes to mind. The only reason I'm so picky about the proper way of doing things is that I've seen more than one custom with stress cracks in the steering head. For some strange reason the thought of the entire front suspension breaking free of the rest of the bike at highway speeds seems a little spooky.

Comment

Originally posted by GSJimbo
          Can anyone walk me through raking a stock GS1100 (82) frame (38 degrees), guess I'll do it myself....Thanks
          As stated raking your bike is complicated. Have it done. Strip the bike down and bring it to a good shop. I had mine done in one day and it cost about 450 bucks done by a pro. You would probably invest more than that just to build a jig and have the proper tools to do the job. Good luck! PS...Dont rake too much or your trees may hit your gas tank.
          EULC ON

Comment

Originally posted by gsbill
            ...Dont rake too much or your trees may hit your gas tank.
            Isn't that what hammers are for? 8-[

Comment

raking gs1100 frame

thats the problem can't find anyone to do it!!!

Comment

Where do you live?..What town/city?
                EULC ON

Comment

Raking GS1100 Frame

Michigan...........45 miles north of Detroit

Comment

Hey Gimbo,

I am not too far from you. I live in Chicago. I know of a Pro Shop that does the frame neck raking. The shop only works on Suzukis. They built my motor and raked the neck frame. I had this done a few years ago and have never had a problem.

PM me if you want more details.

Comment

Looks like you're set Jim..
                      EULC ON

Comment

Working...
                      X